* "Updating marks" spam -- how do I kill it?
@ 2001-08-27 19:09 Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2001-08-27 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Every time I hit 'g', I get a line of "Updating marks" for each nnml
group I have.  This is remarkably annoying and inefficient.  Annoying
because it takes time and wastes bandwidth.  Inefficient because it
traverses every single group instead of only the ones that were
modified by the 'g'.

The marks changes aren't making many points with me.  I really hope
they're making *someone* happy.

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org

* Re: "Updating marks" spam -- how do I kill it?
@ 2001-08-27 20:24 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-27 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> writes:

> Every time I hit 'g', I get a line of "Updating marks" for each nnml
> group I have.  This is remarkably annoying and inefficient.  Annoying
> because it takes time and wastes bandwidth.  Inefficient because it
> traverses every single group instead of only the ones that were
> modified by the 'g'.

IIUC, Simon wants to find bottlenecks and hence included the
messages.  I guess the messages will go away after Simon has found the
bottlenecks.

Maybe it doesn't actually do anything for each group, but just looks
at each group to see if something needs to be done?  Hm.  Simon?

kai
--
Symbol's function definition is void: signature

* Re: "Updating marks" spam -- how do I kill it?
@ 2001-08-27 20:29 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-08-27 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> writes:

> Every time I hit 'g', I get a line of "Updating marks" for each nnml
> group I have.  This is remarkably annoying and inefficient.  Annoying
> because it takes time and wastes bandwidth.

I changed the verbosity level to 8.

> Inefficient because it traverses every single group instead of only
> the ones that were modified by the 'g'.

The updating of marks isn't in the Gnus -> nnml direction, but rather
the other way around.  So all groups that are checked for new mail
have their marks updated (if necessary) as well.

* Re: "Updating marks" spam -- how do I kill it?
@ 2001-08-27 20:36   ` Jack Twilley
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Jack Twilley @ 2001-08-27 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack> Every time I hit 'g', I get a line of "Updating marks" for each
Jack> nnml group I have.  This is remarkably annoying and inefficient.
Jack> Annoying because it takes time and wastes bandwidth.

Simon> I changed the verbosity level to 8.

Tell me how to make it go away?

Jack> Inefficient because it traverses every single group instead of
Jack> only the ones that were modified by the 'g'.

Simon> The updating of marks isn't in the Gnus -> nnml direction, but
Simon> rather the other way around.  So all groups that are checked
Simon> for new mail have their marks updated (if necessary) as well.

There has *got* to be a better way.

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org

* Re: "Updating marks" spam -- how do I kill it?
@ 2001-08-27 20:43     ` Paul Jarc
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-08-27 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org> wrote:
>Simon> The updating of marks isn't in the Gnus -> nnml direction, but
>Simon> rather the other way around.  So all groups that are checked
>Simon> for new mail have their marks updated (if necessary) as well.
>
> There has *got* to be a better way.

When nnmaildir looks at the stored marks, it also grabs the modtime
and keeps that in memory.  Next time around, if the modtime hasn't
changed, the marks are assumed to be unchanged.

paul

* Re: "Updating marks" spam -- how do I kill it?
@ 2001-08-27 20:46   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-08-27 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jack Twilley, ding

> Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> writes:
>
>> Every time I hit 'g', I get a line of "Updating marks" for each nnml
>> group I have.  This is remarkably annoying and inefficient.  Annoying
>> because it takes time and wastes bandwidth.  Inefficient because it
>> traverses every single group instead of only the ones that were
>> modified by the 'g'.
>
> IIUC, Simon wants to find bottlenecks and hence included the
> messages.  I guess the messages will go away after Simon has found the
> bottlenecks.
>
> Maybe it doesn't actually do anything for each group, but just looks
> at each group to see if something needs to be done?  Hm.  Simon?

The messages were added because some seem to wanted more information
on what was going on.  Right now it does actually do something for
each group (reads the .marks file for each group and copy the
information into Group Info) but this will change once I get a little
profiling info.

* Re: "Updating marks" spam -- how do I kill it?
@ 2001-08-27 20:48     ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2001-08-27 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org> writes:

> Jack> Every time I hit 'g', I get a line of "Updating marks" for each
> Jack> nnml group I have.  This is remarkably annoying and inefficient.
> Jack> Annoying because it takes time and wastes bandwidth.
>
> Simon> I changed the verbosity level to 8.
>
> Tell me how to make it go away?

(setq gnus-verbose 7)

> Jack> Inefficient because it traverses every single group instead of
> Jack> only the ones that were modified by the 'g'.
>
> Simon> The updating of marks isn't in the Gnus -> nnml direction, but
> Simon> rather the other way around.  So all groups that are checked
> Simon> for new mail have their marks updated (if necessary) as well.
>
> There has *got* to be a better way.

Is there a way to se if a specific group has new messages?
`gnus-group-get-new-news' doesn't seem to differentiate between groups.

Henrik
--
Could I have a drug overdose?

* Re: "Updating marks" spam -- how do I kill it?
@ 2001-08-27 21:02     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-08-27 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Jack> Every time I hit 'g', I get a line of "Updating marks" for each
> Jack> nnml group I have.  This is remarkably annoying and inefficient.
> Jack> Annoying because it takes time and wastes bandwidth.
>
> Simon> I changed the verbosity level to 8.
>
> Tell me how to make it go away?

It should be gone now, in CVS.

If you want to make the marks stuff go away completely, you can use
the `nnml-marks-is-evil' or `nnfolder-marks-is-evil' server variables.

> Jack> Inefficient because it traverses every single group instead of
> Jack> only the ones that were modified by the 'g'.
>
> Simon> The updating of marks isn't in the Gnus -> nnml direction, but
> Simon> rather the other way around.  So all groups that are checked
> Simon> for new mail have their marks updated (if necessary) as well.
>
> There has *got* to be a better way.

Yes: Only updating the marks if the file was modified since it checked
last time.  Making it so is in the pipe.  Is the current way causing
any problems other than inefficiency?  Soon all the extra work the
marks stuff require is an extra stat() to see if the marks file
changed or not, that shouldn't be too heavy compared to other things,
I hope.

* Re: "Updating marks" spam -- how do I kill it?
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-08-28  8:16     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-28  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Jack> Every time I hit 'g', I get a line of "Updating marks" for each
> Jack> nnml group I have.  This is remarkably annoying and inefficient.
> Jack> Annoying because it takes time and wastes bandwidth.
>
> Simon> I changed the verbosity level to 8.
>
> Tell me how to make it go away?

Set gnus-verbose to something less than 8.

kai
--

@ 2001-08-28 19:43       ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2001-08-28 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Enberg <henrik@enberg.org> writes:

>> Simon> I changed the verbosity level to 8.
>>
>> Tell me how to make it go away?
>
> (setq gnus-verbose 7)

Hmm, looking at the code, I see that it should be
`gnus-verbose-backends', not `gnus-verbose'.

Henrik
--
Could I have a drug overdose?