* setting up two or more gnusae
@ 2000-12-26 11:03 Dirk Gomez
From: Dirk Gomez @ 2000-12-26 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm suffering from a slow dial-up connection for now - that's why I
want to set up three gnusae: one for mail (currently running ;), one
for news, one for slashdot. Any URL for a doc? Couldn't find anything
in the manual.

regards Dirk

* Re: setting up two or more gnusae
@ 2000-12-27  9:09 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-27  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 26 Dec 2000, Dirk Gomez wrote:

> I'm suffering from a slow dial-up connection for now - that's why I
> want to set up three gnusae: one for mail (currently running ;), one
> for news, one for slashdot. Any URL for a doc? Couldn't find
> anything in the manual.

If your primary server is (nnbla "frumple" ...) and there is a file
~/.newsrc-frumple.eld, then Gnus will use ~/.newsrc-frumple and
~/.newsrc-frumple.eld rather than ~/.newsrc and ~/.newsrc.eld.

I have tested this for nnbla = nntp.  I think it should work for other
values of nnbla, though.

`Primary server' means the variable gnus-select-method.

kai
--
~/.signature

* Re: setting up two or more gnusae
@ 2000-12-27 19:54   ` Dirk Gomez
From: Dirk Gomez @ 2000-12-27 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> On 26 Dec 2000, Dirk Gomez wrote:
>
> > I'm suffering from a slow dial-up connection for now - that's why I
> > want to set up three gnusae: one for mail (currently running ;), one
> > for news, one for slashdot. Any URL for a doc? Couldn't find
> > anything in the manual.
>
> If your primary server is (nnbla "frumple" ...) and there is a file
> ~/.newsrc-frumple.eld, then Gnus will use ~/.newsrc-frumple and
> ~/.newsrc-frumple.eld rather than ~/.newsrc and ~/.newsrc.eld.
>
> I have tested this for nnbla = nntp.  I think it should work for other
> values of nnbla, though.
>
> `Primary server' means the variable gnus-select-method.

But how can I have different .gnus files? I want cleanly separated
"instances" - three gnus-select-methods

cheers Dirk

* Re: setting up two or more gnusae
@ 2000-12-27 23:29     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-27 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 27 Dec 2000, Dirk Gomez wrote:

> But how can I have different .gnus files? I want cleanly separated
> "instances" - three gnus-select-methods

I presume that you don't really want different .gnus files, it ought
to be sufficient to have *some* variables be different for the
instances.

You can just write a simple function which sets up the environment as
you need it.  Put them into .emacs.  Then you can use the functions to
start Gnus.

For example:

(defun dg-gnus-1 ()
  "Sample Gnus setup 1."
  (interactive)
  (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "sample1")))

See?  Easy.  Just add more statements as needed, and more functions.

kai
--
~/.signature

* Re: setting up two or more gnusae
@ 2000-12-27 23:30       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-27 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I forgot to say that you could either add (gnus) at the end of such a
function, then you can use M-x dg-gnus-1 RET to start that Gnus
instance, or you use M-x dg-gnus-1 RET just for the setup, then use
M-x gnus RET normally for starting Gnus.

The second method has the advantage that you can also do M-x
gnus-no-server RET at leisure.

kai
--
~/.signature