* help with upgrading + procmail
@ 2000-07-04  2:39 sam
From: sam @ 2000-07-04  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am having trouble upgrading to 5.8.7 and would really appreicate
some help.

First, I am upgrading in the hopes of handling attachments better.
I downloaded the source in gnus.tar.gz and compiled it. I also noticed
other archives pgnus and pspackages and etc.tar.gz. However, I failed
to find any thing more specific about them.

Next, I installed 5.8.7 by just by adding

(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/gnus-sandbox/gnus-5.8.7/lisp") load-path))

(setq Info-default-directory-list
        (cons "~/gnus-sandbox/gnus-5.8.7/texi" Info-default-directory-list))

That seemed to do the the trick. However, my existing .gnus file
didn't seem to work. I narrowed the problem down to this line:

(setq nnmail-spool-file 'procmail)

I really did spend some time reseaching this issue, but the best I
could come up with was the fact that things have changed and I am not
the only one stuck. The entry in the FAQ didn't help.

If anyone out there wouldn't mind holding my hand through this I'd be
grateful.

I've appended my existing .gnus file. Save for above line, things seem
to work OK. When I comment out the problematic line gnus startup
OK, but, as I'd expect, checking mail files. It just stay in the
incoming folder.

Thanks much,

Spencer

;; comment the next line to in order to be able to
;; read news as primary.
;; this also requires
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnfolder ""))

;; and uncomment this line:
;; '(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "news.ne.mediaone.net")))

(setq nnmail-use-procmail t)

(setq nnmail-spool-file "~/mail/incoming/sam")
(setq nnfolder-directory "~/mail/nnfolder/")
(setq nnmail-procmail-directory "~/mail/incoming/")

;;(setq nnmail-spool-file 'procmail)

;; probably junk, but Stan doesn't remember why this is here
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nntp "news.ne.mediaone.net")))

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnfolder "")))

(setq nnmail-procmail-suffix "")

(setq message-default-mail-headers

(setq mail-default-headers

;;(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook 'mc-install-read-mode)
;;(add-hook 'news-reply-mode-hook 'mc-install-write-mode)

(setq gnus-your-domain "digisolutions.com")

;; keep old mail around
(setq mail-archive-file "~/mail/outgoing")

* Re: help with upgrading + procmail
@ 2000-07-07 16:59 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-07-07 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

sam@digisolutions.com writes:

> That seemed to do the the trick. However, my existing .gnus file
> didn't seem to work. I narrowed the problem down to this line:
>
> (setq nnmail-spool-file 'procmail)

Hm.  I recall having answered that before.  But maybe it was one of
the message falling prey to the rogue cancels from Malaysia?  Yuck.

(setq mail-sources
      '((directory :path "~/mail/incoming/"
                   :suffix "")))

Does this work?