* posting to Exchange Public Folders from nnimap?
@ 2000-05-22 11:28 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-05-22 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm now successfully runnning nnimap against an Exchange server, but
the one thing that doesn't work for me, is posting to Public Folders.

Can this be accomplished in such a way that a followup will write a
new message to the public folder, using IMAP?

Thanx!

- Steinar

* Re: posting to Exchange Public Folders from nnimap?
@ 2000-05-22 11:33 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-22 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> I'm now successfully runnning nnimap against an Exchange server, but
> the one thing that doesn't work for me, is posting to Public Folders.

Try putting `Newsgroups: foo' in your message, then use C-u C-c C-c to
post.  Does that work?

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: posting to Exchange Public Folders from nnimap?
@ 2000-05-23  9:28   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-05-23  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
>> I'm now successfully runnning nnimap against an Exchange server, but
>> the one thing that doesn't work for me, is posting to Public Folders.

> Try putting `Newsgroups: foo' in your message, then use C-u C-c C-c to
> post.  Does that work?

Hm... `Newsgroups: foo' gives me
	No such group: nnimap+somemachine.no:foo.  Create it? (y or n)
so I assume you mean
	Newsgroups: nnimap+somemachine.no:Public Folders/Test
?

But with this I ran into the problem that message-mode took this to be
the two groups
	Newsgroups: nnimap+somemachine.no:Public,Folders/Test
when attempting to post.

Is it possible to encode the spaces of Exchange server folder names
when posting?  Do this have to be in UTF-7?  Hm... how does one hand
code UTF-7 for testing?

* Re: posting to Exchange Public Folders from nnimap?
@ 2000-05-23 10:01     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-23 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> Hm... `Newsgroups: foo' gives me
> 	No such group: nnimap+somemachine.no:foo.  Create it? (y or n)
> so I assume you mean
> 	Newsgroups: nnimap+somemachine.no:Public Folders/Test
> ?

Yes.  `foo' is the conventional placeholder when one doesn't know what
to use.  I didn't know the group name you wanted to use.

> But with this I ran into the problem that message-mode took this to be
> the two groups
> 	Newsgroups: nnimap+somemachine.no:Public,Folders/Test
> when attempting to post.
>
> Is it possible to encode the spaces of Exchange server folder names
> when posting?  Do this have to be in UTF-7?  Hm... how does one hand
> code UTF-7 for testing?

Ah, the space problem.  Hm.  I don't know how to deal with spaces in
group names.

Simon?  Anyone?

Maybe Gnus needs to be changed to parse the Newsgroups line
differently for this to work.

kai
--

@ 2000-05-23 10:09       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-05-23 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
>> Hm... `Newsgroups: foo' gives me
>> No such group: nnimap+somemachine.no:foo.  Create it? (y or n)
>> so I assume you mean
>> Newsgroups: nnimap+somemachine.no:Public Folders/Test
>> ?

> Yes.  `foo' is the conventional placeholder when one doesn't know
> what to use.

I know.  I figured (optimistically, I admit ;-) ), that it was enough
to put in a dummy Newsgroups: line, and then Gnus would automagically
figure out the rest.

I wasn't _too_ surprised when it didn't work.

* Re: posting to Exchange Public Folders from nnimap?
@ 2000-05-23 10:55         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-23 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> I know.  I figured (optimistically, I admit ;-) ), that it was enough
> to put in a dummy Newsgroups: line, and then Gnus would automagically
> figure out the rest.

Well, maybe I should have said that a `Newsgroups: foo' line writes to
the `nnimap:foo' group.

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: posting to Exchange Public Folders from nnimap?
@ 2000-05-23 11:00     ` Simon Josefsson
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-05-23 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> 	Newsgroups: nnimap+somemachine.no:Public Folders/Test
>
> But with this I ran into the problem that message-mode took this to be
> the two groups
> 	Newsgroups: nnimap+somemachine.no:Public,Folders/Test
> when attempting to post.

`message-cleanup-headers' translate SPC into `,' for you.

I guess the proper way would be to add a new header and a new method
of posting in message.el.  So we can "submit" messages with mail, news
and imap.

The simple solution would be to make the translation in `m-c-headers'
conditional somehow.

> Is it possible to encode the spaces of Exchange server folder names
> when posting?  Do this have to be in UTF-7?  Hm... how does one hand
> code UTF-7 for testing?

Doesn't matter, as the name would be imap-UTF7 encoded by imap.el.

You can use (utf7-encode "whatever" 'imap) to play with the UTF7-coding.

(Do anyone know if the Unicode support in Emacs deal with UTF8 or UTF7?)

* Re: posting to Exchange Public Folders from nnimap?
@ 2000-05-23 11:10       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-05-23 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Doesn't matter, as the name would be imap-UTF7 encoded by imap.el.

> You can use (utf7-encode "whatever" 'imap) to play with the UTF7-coding.

I know, but I have so far been unable to make it encode space as
anything other than space.

* Re: posting to Exchange Public Folders from nnimap?
@ 2000-05-23 11:12       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-05-23 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I guess the proper way would be to add a new header and a new method
> of posting in message.el.  So we can "submit" messages with mail,
> news and imap.

> The simple solution would be to make the translation in
> `m-c-headers' conditional somehow.

Are any of these implementable in the short time? (I could do a quick
hack in my own version of Gnus, if I knew where to look, for things
that are too dirty to check into CVS).

* Re: posting to Exchange Public Folders from nnimap?
@ 2000-05-23 13:44       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-23 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Steinar Bang, ding

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
>
> > 	Newsgroups: nnimap+somemachine.no:Public Folders/Test
> >
> > But with this I ran into the problem that message-mode took this to be
> > the two groups
> > 	Newsgroups: nnimap+somemachine.no:Public,Folders/Test
> > when attempting to post.
>
> `message-cleanup-headers' translate SPC into `,' for you.
>
> I guess the proper way would be to add a new header and a new method
> of posting in message.el.  So we can "submit" messages with mail, news
> and imap.

Hm.  One could enclose the group name in double quotes if it contains
spaces.  The completion functions could automatically produce the
double quotes if necessary.

Or maybe `Newsgroups: foo\ bar,baz' should be read as posting to two
groups, the first of which has a name containing space.

I think both of these should be sufficiently unintrusive for the
current use that they can just be done.

kai
--

@ 2000-05-23 17:45         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-05-23 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> > I guess the proper way would be to add a new header and a new method
> > of posting in message.el.  So we can "submit" messages with mail,
> > news and imap.
>
> > The simple solution would be to make the translation in
> > `m-c-headers' conditional somehow.
>
> Are any of these implementable in the short time? (I could do a quick
> hack in my own version of Gnus, if I knew where to look, for things
> that are too dirty to check into CVS).

The proper solutions is maybe a few hours work.  I can't think of
anything to condition the translation on that isn't very ugly
(searching for "nnimap" or similar), but that might work as a dirty
patch...

* Re: posting to Exchange Public Folders from nnimap?
@ 2000-05-24  9:34           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-24  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Steinar Bang, ding

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> The proper solutions is maybe a few hours work.  I can't think of
> anything to condition the translation on that isn't very ugly
> (searching for "nnimap" or similar), but that might work as a dirty
> patch...

You can't search for nnimap in the general case.  For example, I set
gnus-post-method to `current' and then there is a line such as
`Newsgroups: ir.proj.carmen.tec'.  This way, the message gets posted
to nnimap:ir.proj.carmen.tec.  As you can see, searching for nnimap
won't work.

(Is it even possible to put a group name like `nnimap:foo' into the
Newsgroups header?)

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.