* Can I specify a spool file to read from?
@ 1996-04-02 17:19 Shane Holder
From: Shane Holder @ 1996-04-02 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use procmail to split mail into spool files, and I've got an nnml
mail group for each file.  I would like to reconfigure procmail with
no final rule so procmail delivers mail to my $MAIL spool file, as
well as continue spooling specific articles to my spool directory.

How can I set up a nnml group that reads mail from a spool file that I
specify.  I tried doing something like:

 (nnmail-spool-file "/usr/mail/holder")

in the group parameters, but a M-g didn't touch the spool file.

Thanks,
Shane

--
Shane Holder                                 e-mail: holder@rsn.hp.com
Hewlett Packard                               phone:     (214)497-4182

* Re: Can I specify a spool file to read from?
@ 1996-04-04  1:21 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-04  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shane Holder <holder@mailhost.rsn.hp.com> writes:

> I use procmail to split mail into spool files, and I've got an nnml
> mail group for each file.  I would like to reconfigure procmail with
> no final rule so procmail delivers mail to my $MAIL spool file, as
> well as continue spooling specific articles to my spool directory.
>
> How can I set up a nnml group that reads mail from a spool file that I
> specify.

I think this is covered quite well in the manual.  You put the split
mail in a file that has the same name as the group.spool in the spool
directory.  Like.  RTM.

* Re: Can I specify a spool file to read from?
@ 1996-04-04 16:21   ` Shane Holder
From: Shane Holder @ 1996-04-04 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Lars> Shane Holder <holder@mailhost.rsn.hp.com> writes:
  >> I use procmail to split mail into spool files, and I've got an nnml
  >> mail group for each file.  I would like to reconfigure procmail with
  >> no final rule so procmail delivers mail to my $MAIL spool file, as
  >> well as continue spooling specific articles to my spool directory.
  >>
  >> How can I set up a nnml group that reads mail from a spool file that I
  >> specify.

  Lars> I think this is covered quite well in the manual.  You put the split
  Lars> mail in a file that has the same name as the group.spool in the spool
  Lars> directory.  Like.  RTM.

  Lars> --
  Lars>   "Yes.  The journey through the human heart
  Lars>      would have to wait until some other time."

I did RTM :) , and that's "like" not what I want to do.  :-)

I've got mail going to several spool files now, I split out things
like list mail, and automated mail, and they go to the spool
directory, and end up with an extention of .spool.  I want mail that
is sent to me to end up in the standard place $MAIL, so this would
require me to specify a spool file for a specific group.

Shane

--

@ 1996-04-04 17:41     ` Edward J. Sabol
From: Edward J. Sabol @ 1996-04-04 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from mail: (04-Apr-96) Re: Can I specify a spool file to read from? by Shane Holder
Shane> How can I set up a nnml group that reads mail from a spool file that I
Shane> specify.

Lars> I think this is covered quite well in the manual. You put the split
Lars> mail in a file that has the same name as the group.spool in the spool
Lars> directory. Like. RTM.

Shane>  I did RTM :) , and that's "like" not what I want to do. :-)
Shane>
Shane> I've got mail going to several spool files now, I split out things
Shane> like list mail, and automated mail, and they go to the spool
Shane> directory, and end up with an extention of .spool. I want mail that is
Shane> sent to me to end up in the standard place $MAIL, so this would
Shane> require me to specify a spool file for a specific group.

I believe it's not currently possible, but I really think it should be! The
".spool" requirement is rather aggravating for me as well. Plus, I would like
the ability to have one group read from *multiple* spool files. Even RMAIL
can do this (via M-x set-rmail-inbox-list)!

Red Gnus feature request: Lars, would you consider adding support for a spool
file *group parameter*, so we can specify whatever input spool files we want,
in whatever directories we want, and however many spool files we want for a
specific group? This group parameter should override any Gnus variable
related to this issue.

Thanks,
Ed

* Re: Can I specify a spool file to read from?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-04 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shane Holder <holder@dnshost.rsn.hp.com> writes:

> I've got mail going to several spool files now, I split out things
> like list mail, and automated mail, and they go to the spool
> directory, and end up with an extention of .spool.  I want mail that
> is sent to me to end up in the standard place $MAIL, so this would
> require me to specify a spool file for a specific group.

I don't think I understand (still).  You want mail that's in
/usr/spool/mail/holder to end up in a particular mail group?

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(("mail.misc" "")))

should do that.

* Re: Can I specify a spool file to read from?
@ 1996-04-04 23:24       ` Shane Holder
From: Shane Holder @ 1996-04-04 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Lars> Shane Holder <holder@dnshost.rsn.hp.com> writes:

  >> I've got mail going to several spool files now, I split out things
  >> like list mail, and automated mail, and they go to the spool
  >> directory, and end up with an extention of .spool.  I want mail that
  >> is sent to me to end up in the standard place $MAIL, so this would
  >> require me to specify a spool file for a specific group.

  Lars> I don't think I understand (still).  You want mail that's in
  Lars> /usr/spool/mail/holder to end up in a particular mail group?

  Lars> (setq nnmail-split-methods
  Lars>       '(("mail.misc" "")))

In short what I want is the ability to put a spool file, or list of
spool files in the group parameters.

I have multiple spool files in a directory specified by
nnmail-procmail-directory, that are generated by procmail.  With the way
gnus currently works I have to have a final rule that sends mail not handled
by previous rules to that directory as a file mail.misc.spool.
Instead of the mail going mail.misc.spool, I would like it to go to
/usr/spool/mail/holder. This doesn't won't work because it's not in
the nnmail-procmail-directory, and doesn't end with .spool, so my
misc.mail group can't find it.  If I was able to tell the misc.mail
group to read from /usr/spool/mail/holder, and ignore
nnmail-procmail-directory/misc.mail.spool my problems would be solved.

--

@ 1996-04-06  1:40       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-06  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Edward J. Sabol" <sabol@thuban.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> Red Gnus feature request: Lars, would you consider adding support for a spool
> file *group parameter*, so we can specify whatever input spool files we want,
> in whatever directories we want, and however many spool files we want for a
> specific group? This group parameter should override any Gnus variable
> related to this issue.

Well -- I'm not sure I like this idea.  The backends should be as
independent as possible from Gnus proper.  Anyways, if you have the
mail backend as a secondary select method, Gnus just does a
`nn*-request-scan' without any parameters, and having to trudge
through the newsrc alist for spool files would be a waste of precious
time.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-06  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shane Holder <holder@dnshost.rsn.hp.com> writes:

> In short what I want is the ability to put a spool file, or list of
> spool files in the group parameters.
>
> I have multiple spool files in a directory specified by
> nnmail-procmail-directory, that are generated by procmail.  With the way
> gnus currently works I have to have a final rule that sends mail not handled
> by previous rules to that directory as a file mail.misc.spool.
> Instead of the mail going mail.misc.spool, I would like it to go to
> /usr/spool/mail/holder. This doesn't won't work because it's not in
> the nnmail-procmail-directory, and doesn't end with .spool, so my
> misc.mail group can't find it.  If I was able to tell the misc.mail
> group to read from /usr/spool/mail/holder, and ignore
> nnmail-procmail-directory/misc.mail.spool my problems would be solved.

If you have just

(setq nnmail-split-methods '(("mail.misc" "")))

and

(setq nnmail-spool-file "/usr/spool/mail/holder")

then you'll get the effect you're looking for, I think.

* Re: Can I specify a spool file to read from?
@ 1996-04-09  6:05           ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-04-09  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Lars> If you have just
  Lars> (setq nnmail-split-methods '(("mail.misc" "")))
  Lars> and
  Lars> (setq nnmail-spool-file "/usr/spool/mail/holder")
  Lars> then you'll get the effect you're looking for, I think.

The difference between procmail writing in mail.misc.spool and setting
nnmail-spool-file like you're proposing is that M-g in the Summary
buffer gets new mail from mail.misc.spool but not from
nnmail-spool-file.  I think.  Was like that in 0.60, anyway.

kai
--
I wonder why nobody don't like me // Or is it de fact dat I'm ugly?
	Harry Belafonte, `Mama look a boo-boo'

* Re: Can I specify a spool file to read from?
@ 1996-04-11 16:15         ` Edward J. Sabol
From: Edward J. Sabol @ 1996-04-11 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from mail: (06-Apr-96) Re: Can I specify a spool file to read from? by Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> "Edward J. Sabol" <sabol@thuban.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:
>> Red Gnus feature request: Lars, would you consider adding support for a
>> spool file *group parameter*, so we can specify whatever input spool files
>> we want, in whatever directories we want, and however many spool files we
>> want for a specific group? This group parameter should override any Gnus
>> variable related to this issue.
>
> Well -- I'm not sure I like this idea. The backends should be as
> independent as possible from Gnus proper. Anyways, if you have the mail
> backend as a secondary select method, Gnus just does a `nn*-request-scan'
> without any parameters, and having to trudge through the newsrc alist for
> spool files would be a waste of precious time.

Well, I still think a group parameter is the natural user interface for
setting something like this. But if you think that would be inefficient, then
I'm willing to accept some alternative scheme (add a new variable named
`nnmail-spool-alist'? or better yet overload `nnmail-spool-file' to accept an
alist?). However, I feel strongly that there needs to be some intelligent way
of saying which spool file(s) to get new mail from for a specific group. This
method should allow one to specify multiple spool files for any group. It
should allow the spool files to be named whatever you want and be located
whereever you want to put them. The current set of Gnus variables just
doesn't give the user enough freedom in this regard.

* Re: Can I specify a spool file to read from?
@ 1996-04-12  3:16           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-12  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Edward J. Sabol" <sabol@thuban.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> Well, I still think a group parameter is the natural user interface for
> setting something like this. But if you think that would be inefficient, then
> I'm willing to accept some alternative scheme (add a new variable named
> `nnmail-spool-alist'? or better yet overload `nnmail-spool-file' to accept an
> alist?). However, I feel strongly that there needs to be some intelligent way
> of saying which spool file(s) to get new mail from for a specific group. This
> method should allow one to specify multiple spool files for any group. It
> should allow the spool files to be named whatever you want and be located
> whereever you want to put them. The current set of Gnus variables just
> doesn't give the user enough freedom in this regard.

I think an alist of group/file pairs would be better.
`nnmail-group-spool-alist'?  I've added this to the Red Gnus todo
list.