From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann)
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: nnml / nnmh
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:00:40 +0100	[thread overview]

For procmail/Gnus interaction, I suggest to proceed as follows.
Anything else is asking for trouble:

Tell procmail to write to the file(!) ~/procmail/foo.bar.
Tell Gnus to read from the directory ~/procmail:
(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(directory :path "~/procmail"
                                       :suffix ""))

This way, Gnus will put all messages from the file(!)
~/procmail/foo.bar into the group nnml:foo.bar.

This caveat does not apply to nnmaildir.  With nnmaildir, you can
tell procmail to write to the directory directly.  (Though I'm not
sure how to get the file names right -- I don't use nnmaildir.)

The caveat also does not apply to IMAP.  There, you need to make sure
that procmail and the IMAP server coexist.  For Gnus with nnimap
there will be no problem.

(nnmh is the safest backend for letting Gnus write to it, so you were
lucky.  But don't use nnml or nnfolder or nnmbox or something like
this together with procmail, except in the fashion I described.)

kai
--
Silence is foo!