* how to split IMAP mail into local nnml group?
@ 2001-11-30 13:40 John S. J. Anderson
From: John S. J. Anderson @ 2001-11-30 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm not even sure if this is possible, but I figured it can't hurt to
ask.

Currently, I use IMAP with Gnus. I have an extensive
nnimap-split-fancy list, one section of which detects mail from
various people and dumps it into an IMAP folder called
INBOX.people-incoming. I read the mail, respond or not, and then
manually move the mail to person-specific nnml folders (on the local
disk). So, mail from Bob or Alice goes into
nnimap:INBOX.people_incoming, then I move it to nnml:Bob or
nnml:Alice, as appropriate.

If I wanted to skip the manual move step, so that mail from Bob or
Alice would be pulled off the IMAP server and stuck right into
nnml:Bob or nnml:Alice, how would I (can I?) do that?

Thanks,
john.
--
 Susie: You'd get a good grade without doing any work.
Calvin: So?

* Re: how to split IMAP mail into local nnml group?
@ 2001-11-30 14:32 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2001-11-30 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

It may be fraught with peril, but it's a thought.

Set up a imap mail source specifier for your INBOX.people_incoming
folder and use nnmail-split-fancy to direct it.  Probably would want
to have nnml-get-new-mail set to nil normally and only set it to t
when you want to do the splitting of the imap group.
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: how to split IMAP mail into local nnml group?
@ 2001-11-30 17:05 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-30 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

jacobs@genehack.org (John S. J. Anderson) writes:

> If I wanted to skip the manual move step, so that mail from Bob or
> Alice would be pulled off the IMAP server and stuck right into
> nnml:Bob or nnml:Alice, how would I (can I?) do that?

You can put an `imap' mail-sources entry, but you'll need an
nnimap-split-methods entry to deal with the messages you fetch from
there.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: how to split IMAP mail into local nnml group?
@ 2001-11-30 17:21   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-30 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai.Grossjohann@cs.uni-dortmund.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> You can put an `imap' mail-sources entry, but you'll need an
> nnimap-split-methods entry to deal with the messages you fetch from
> there.

I meant nnmail-split-methods, not nnimap-split-rule.  Sorry.

kai
--

@ 2001-12-03  3:54   ` John S. J. Anderson
From: John S. J. Anderson @ 2001-12-03  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> jacobs@genehack.org (John S. J. Anderson) writes:
>
>> If I wanted to skip the manual move step, so that mail from Bob or
>> Alice would be pulled off the IMAP server and stuck right into
>> nnml:Bob or nnml:Alice, how would I (can I?) do that?
>
> You can put an `imap' mail-sources entry, but you'll need an
> nnimap-split-methods entry to deal with the messages you fetch from
> there.

I haven't tried this yet, as I didn't feel like either trying it over
the modem or going into work over the weekend  -- but won't I have to
check for mail twice in order to get things into the nnml groups with
that? (Once to get it into the proper nnimap group, once to get it out
of the nnimap group and into the nnml group.)

What I'd really like to able to do is put fully qualified group names
in nnimap-split-fancy (like "nnml:bob") and then have gnus Do The
Right Thing...

john.
--
You know what we need, Hobbes? We need an attitude. Yeah, you can't be
cool if you don't have an attitude.  -- Calvin

* Re: how to split IMAP mail into local nnml group?
@ 2001-12-03 14:37     ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2001-12-03 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I haven't tried this yet, as I didn't feel like either trying it over
> the modem or going into work over the weekend  -- but won't I have to
> check for mail twice in order to get things into the nnml groups with
> that? (Once to get it into the proper nnimap group, once to get it out
> of the nnimap group and into the nnml group.)

Maybe, maybe not.  It'll depend on whether mail-sources are split
before or after nnimap splitting occurs.  Not sure if that's
configurable.

> What I'd really like to able to do is put fully qualified group names
> in nnimap-split-fancy (like "nnml:bob") and then have gnus Do The
> Right Thing...

This, or a similar variant, has been on the Gnus wishlist for a long
time, I think.