* gnus-summary-enter-digest-group: How to set the summary line format?
@ 2001-05-31  7:10 Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2001-05-31  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cc

Hello,

i have a global setting of gnus-summary-line-format (show me the size
of the mail/article), and for several groups i have a local setting
("G p" in group buffer) for showing me the number of lines in the
mail/article.

The articles in the newsgroup "comp.risks" are in digest format. I
want to see the summary with the global format, so i have no local
setting. Works perfectly. But i want to see the articles in the DIGEST
summary buffer with another format!

How to achieve this?

Best regards,
cu, -cc-
--
=> GNU Emacs Webring @ <http://www.gnusoftware.com/WebRing/> <=
Look Ma, this man can twist his fingers as if they were made of rubber,

* Re: gnus-summary-enter-digest-group: How to set the summary line format?
@ 2001-05-31  8:28 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-05-31  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, cc

On 31 May 2001, Christoph Conrad wrote:

> The articles in the newsgroup "comp.risks" are in digest format. I
> want to see the summary with the global format, so i have no local
> setting. Works perfectly. But i want to see the articles in the
> DIGEST summary buffer with another format!

You can add something to gnus-summary-generate-hook that checks the
group name and frobs gnus-summary-line-format accordingly.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: gnus-summary-enter-digest-group: How to set the summary line format?
@ 2001-05-31 21:59   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2001-05-31 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hallo Kai,

du schreibst:

    > You can add something to gnus-summary-generate-hook that checks
    > the group name and frobs gnus-summary-line-format accordingly.

I thought about it; someone has to re-establish the global value of
gnus-summary-line-format when using this approach. In the end i came
up with another solution:

;; change summary line format in digests
(defadvice gnus-summary-read-group
  ( around gnus-summary-read-group-digest-summary-line act )
  (let ( (gnus-summary-line-format gnus-summary-line-format) )
    (when (and gnus-newsgroup-name
               (string-match "comp.risks$" gnus-newsgroup-name))
      (setq gnus-summary-line-format
            "%U%R%z%I%(%[%4L: %-20,20f%]%) %s\n"))
    ad-do-it))

Best regards,
cu, -cc-
--

@ 2001-06-01  6:40     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-06-01  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 31 May 2001, Christoph Conrad wrote:

> Hallo Kai,
>
> du schreibst:
>
>     > You can add something to gnus-summary-generate-hook that
>     > checks the group name and frobs gnus-summary-line-format
>     > accordingly.
>
> I thought about it; someone has to re-establish the global value of
> gnus-summary-line-format when using this approach.

Well, it's sufficient to just always set gnus-summary-line-format to
the right value.  In the special groups, set it to the special value,
in all other groups, set it to a general value.

Also, make-local-variable could be your friend.  Then you don't have
to change the general value at all, since the special value will be
local to that Summary buffer.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory