From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann)
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: moving mail from nnml -> nnimap
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:44:00 +0200	[thread overview]

Soren Dayton <dayton@overx.com> writes:

> I have about 4 years worth of mail in nnml and I would like to move it
> to nnimap, keeping the flags (!, *, R, etc), if possible.  is there
> a good way to do it?

For each group nnml:foo do
    create group nnimap:foo
    enter group nnml:foo using `C-u RET', listing all messages
    mark all articles using `M P a'
    move all messages to nnimap:foo using `B m'
end for

This does NOT keep the `*' mark!  AFAIK, it is not possible to keep
the cache mark in an easy way.  Hm.  You also can't be sure the the
message numbers are the same in nnml and nnimap.  If they were the
same, it might be sufficient to just rename the cache directory.

But here's something that you could do: you could extract the list of
cached messages (by message id) from the .overview files in
~/News/cache for the nnml groups.  Then, you can do a nested loop
algorithm:

For each group foo do
    for each message id MID in .overview file for cache of nnml:foo do
        cache message MID in nnimap:foo
    end for
end for

You could write little Lisp snippets to automate these tasks.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.