* Soups again
@ 1996-06-16 17:51 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-06-16 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

suppose I brew a soup and take it home with me.  There already is a
way to pack the replies to take them back to work.  WIBNI there was a
way to pack all `B m'ing I might have done, as well?

This way, I could brew a soup, take it home, look at the mails, decide
that one of my personal mails actually belongs to the foo project,
`B m' it to mail.projects.foo at home, then pack a reply packet, take
it back to work, and automagically, the mail would be `B m'ed to
mail.projects.foo at work, too.

Would that be possible?

Thanks in advance for any reply,
kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: Soups again
@ 1996-06-17  2:28 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-17  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> This way, I could brew a soup, take it home, look at the mails, decide
> that one of my personal mails actually belongs to the foo project,
> `B m' it to mail.projects.foo at home, then pack a reply packet, take
> it back to work, and automagically, the mail would be `B m'ed to
> mail.projects.foo at work, too.

Having mail both on the home machine and a different machine can be
somewhat confusing.  I soup most of my mail, take it home, and then
discover that I can't deal with it there, so I have to take it back
again.  I haven't found a proper solution to this problem yet, but I
use the following two functions:

(defun unread-to-file (n)
  (interactive "P")
  (let (ids)
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (while (not (eobp))
      (push (mail-header-id (gnus-summary-article-header))
	    ids)
      (forward-line 1))
    (nnheader-temp-write (format "~/sgnus/out/%s-unreads.list"
				 (gnus-group-real-name gnus-newsgroup-name))
      (insert "(setq unread-list '")
      (prin1 ids (current-buffer))
      (insert ")"))))

(defun file-to-unread ()
  (interactive)
  (let (unread-list)
    (load (format "~/sgnus/out/%s-unreads.list"
		  (gnus-group-real-name gnus-newsgroup-name)))
    (let (id)
      (while (setq id (pop unread-list))
	(if (gnus-summary-refer-article id)
	    (gnus-summary-clear-mark-forward 1)
	  (message "Couldn't fetch article %s" id)
	  (ding))))))

On my home (souped) machine, I use `unread-to-file' to create a file
that has Message-IDs.  On the other machine I use `file-to-unread' to
have the articles reappear again.

This is *highly* cludgy, and I should probably write something that
works like you suggest.