* Tab after From: causes (nobody) in summary buffer
@ 2000-03-15 20:19 Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2000-03-15 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lately all incoming messages appear as coming from "(nobody)" in the
summary buffer. The only difference from the properly displayed
messages that I can find is that there is now a tab after the From: in
the headers:

From:[<--TAB-->]John Doe <john@doe.com

I am not sure if this is a bug or perhaps this is violation of some
RFC or other... The only thing that's changed in my setup (which
triggered the tab being inserted) is that I changed forwarding from my
school account to go straight to my mail server (instead of the ISP's
mail server, as it was before).

Any suggestions highly appreciated!
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

* Re: Tab after From: causes (nobody) in summary buffer
@ 2000-03-16  6:34 ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2000-03-16  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> Lately all incoming messages appear as coming from "(nobody)" in the
> summary buffer. The only difference from the properly displayed
> messages that I can find is that there is now a tab after the From: in
> the headers:
>
> From:[<--TAB-->]John Doe <john@doe.com

Which backend are you using?

In nnimap group I've also encountered a similar problem on Subject field.
I just posted about this to gnus.gnus-bug.

Hope this helps,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Tab after From: causes (nobody) in summary buffer
@ 2000-03-16  8:18   ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2000-03-16  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daiki Ueno <ueno@kiss.kake.info.waseda.ac.jp> writes:

> > Lately all incoming messages appear as coming from "(nobody)" in the
> > summary buffer. The only difference from the properly displayed
> > messages that I can find is that there is now a tab after the From: in
> > the headers:
> > From:[<--TAB-->]John Doe <john@doe.com
>
> Which backend are you using?
>
> In nnimap group I've also encountered a similar problem on Subject field.
> I just posted about this to gnus.gnus-bug.

Yes, I am using nnimap. But the funny thing is that not *all* messages
exhibit this behaviour, but only those that are forwarded through my
school's mail address. Other messages (forwarded through usa.net, for
example, and directly delivered) show just fine.

Thanks for your post, though! It's good to know that I an not alone.
--

@ 2000-03-16 10:55 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-16 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> Lately all incoming messages appear as coming from "(nobody)" in the
> summary buffer. The only difference from the properly displayed
> messages that I can find is that there is now a tab after the From: in
> the headers:

The overview file uses the tab character as field delimiter.  Maybe
tabs should be removed from header values before inserting them into
the overview files?

nnimap uses overview files as a header cache to speed up summary
buffer generation.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory