* how to turn off smileys
@ 1999-05-12 14:59 Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 1999-05-12 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, they're cute, but not when they're sprinkled through my Daily Usenet
Reports.  I'd like to just turn them off entirely.

I've tried adding
        gnus-treat-display-smileys nil  and
        gnus-smiley-display nil
to my gnus-article-display-hook.  That doesn't do it.  I would appreciate a
hint.

--

Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>
http://www.sirinet.net/~budr/gnus.gif

* Re: how to turn off smileys
@ 1999-05-12 15:05 ` Lee Willis
From: Lee Willis @ 1999-05-12 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net> writes:

> I've tried adding
>         gnus-treat-display-smileys nil  and
>         gnus-smiley-display nil
> to my gnus-article-display-hook.  That doesn't do it.  I would appreciate a
> hint.

You shouldn't add them to your gnus-article-display-hook at
all. gnus-treat-* are variables, gnus-article-display-hook is a list of
functions (This is probably not 100% technically correct but I'm no
elisp programmer and I think I'm close enough ...)

You should be doing something like this :

(setq gnus-treat-display-smileys nil)

Lee
--
I was doing object-oriented assembly at 1 year old ...
For some reason my mom insists on calling it "Playing with blocks"

* Re: how to turn off smileys
@ 1999-05-12 15:38   ` Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 1999-05-12 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lee Willis <lee@gbdirect.co.uk> writes:

> You shouldn't add them to your gnus-article-display-hook at
> all. gnus-treat-* are variables, gnus-article-display-hook is a list of
> functions (This is probably not 100% technically correct but I'm no
> elisp programmer and I think I'm close enough ...)

Thanks.  I've just begun to dabble at lisp.  Distinctions that would be
obvious to a real programmer sometimes trip me up.

> You should be doing something like this :
>
> (setq gnus-treat-display-smileys nil)

Ack.  I tried that also, but I put a quote in from of the variable name
which didn't work.  Duh.  It works now.  Thanks again.

Would it work to put that line in Group Parameters to change the behaviour
on a per-group basis?

--

@ 1999-05-12 19:30     ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-05-12 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net> writes:

  > Would it work to put that line in Group Parameters to change the behaviour
  > on a per-group basis?

No, it's the wrong syntax for group parameters.  Maybe putting
(gnus-treat-display-smileys nil) in there (without the setq) will do
the trick, but I don't know for sure.  Might be worth a try, though.

If that doesn't work, you could add stuff to your
gnus-summary-mode-hook to set the variable:

(defun my-set-gnus-treat-display-smileys ()
  (cond ((string-match "foo.*bar" gnus-newsgroup-name)
         (setq gnus-treat-display-smileys t))
        ((string-match "foo" gnus-newsgroup-name)
         (setq gnus-treat-display-smileys nil))
        (t
         (setq gnus-treat-display-smileys nil))))
(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook 'my-set-gnus-treat-display-smileys)

Yes, the function could be written more succinctly, but the above is a
general template which can be extended nicely.  The code is
untested; I hope it works anyway.

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]