* Following up to CC'ED news articles
@ 1996-06-28  6:39 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-06-28  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

it often happens that I get a mail which is actually a CC of a news
article.  AFAIK, hitting `F' in my mail group sends a mail to the
sender but doesn't post the article in the news groups.
Is there a way that my reply could be automatically mailed and posted?

This already works when I see the message in a news group, but it
doesn't work when I see the message in nnml:mail.misc.  I think.

tia,
kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: Following up to CC'ED news articles
@ 1996-06-28 15:59 ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 1996-06-28 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjoh@charly.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> it often happens that I get a mail which is actually a CC of a news
> article.  AFAIK, hitting `F' in my mail group sends a mail to the sender
> but doesn't post the article in the news groups.  Is there a way that my
> reply could be automatically mailed and posted?

This would require some reliable way of determining when a mail message
has also been posted.  Unfortunately, there isn't one.  (Some programs
think that the presence of a Newsgroups header indicates the message has
been posted, but some news readers also include that header in all mailed
replies regardless of whether they're also posted.)

One suggestion that I had that I believe is on the Red to-do list is a
keystroke that will check if there is a news article with the same message
ID as the current mail message.  That should let you catch most of them.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@cs.stanford.edu)      <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

* Re: Following up to CC'ED news articles
@ 1996-06-28 19:25   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-06-28 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Russ> (Some programs think that the presence of a Newsgroups header
  Russ> indicates the message has been posted, but some news readers
  Russ> also include that header in all mailed replies regardless of
  Russ> whether they're also posted.)

Oh.  I thought this as well.  Yikes.  How am *I* supposed to find out
if the message was just mailed to me or if it was posted, too?  This
is yucky.  :-(

I have been waiting three days now for the corresponding news posting
to appear in gnu.emacs.help, but you just told me that it may be
possible that the message wasn't posted at all!  Sigh.

  Russ> One suggestion that I had that I believe is on the Red to-do
  Russ> list is a keystroke that will check if there is a news article
  Russ> with the same message ID as the current mail message.  That
  Russ> should let you catch most of them.

Hmhm.  This is the best we can do, I suppose, but it's not really all
that good if the other programs are this stupid.

Thanks a lot for your kind reply.  It's not you fault that I'm
disappointed!
kai
--

@ 1996-06-28 19:53 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-28 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> it often happens that I get a mail which is actually a CC of a news
> article.  AFAIK, hitting `F' in my mail group sends a mail to the
> sender but doesn't post the article in the news groups.
> Is there a way that my reply could be automatically mailed and posted?

Well, if the person who posted & mailed the message is using a modern
newsreader (where "modern" is defined as "Gnus 5.2 and slrn"), there
will be a Posted-To header that says what group the article was posted
to.  If you hop over to the article buffer and type
`M-x message-followup', Message will do the proper thing.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen