* Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-06-30  9:56 Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2002-06-30  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

  I'm using Gnus and Mailcrypt.
  When I receive a signed message, Gnus does not show me
  that the message was signed since it removes the GPG header
  and footer.
  I didn't find any way to toggle this. Any idea?

  Thanks in advance.

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-06-30 19:45 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-06-30 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

jmarant@nerim.net (Jérôme Marant) writes:

>   When I receive a signed message, Gnus does not show me
>   that the message was signed since it removes the GPG header
>   and footer.

I think it shows it in the modeline.  There is something like "[  h ]"
there.  Each position has a character, and one of them is reserved
for signed/encrypted messages.

I think.

kai

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-06-30 19:55 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-06-30 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jun 30 2002, Jérôme Marant wrote:

>   When I receive a signed message, Gnus does not show me
>   that the message was signed since it removes the GPG header
>   and footer.

Gnus shows a "p" the status line of the article buffer.

,----[ C-h v gnus-buttonized-mime-types RET ]
| gnus-buttonized-mime-types's value is (".*/signed")
|
| Documentation:
| List of MIME types that should be given buttons when rendered inline.
| If set, this variable overrides `gnus-unbuttonized-mime-types'.
| To see e.g. security buttons you could set this to
| `("multipart/signed")'.
`----

This will give you buttons.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-06-30 20:06   ` Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2002-06-30 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Kai.Grossjohann

commence  Kai Großjohann quotation:

> jmarant@nerim.net (Jérôme Marant) writes:
>
>>   When I receive a signed message, Gnus does not show me
>>   that the message was signed since it removes the GPG header
>>   and footer.
>
> I think it shows it in the modeline.  There is something like "[ h
> ]" there.  Each position has a character, and one of them is
> reserved for signed/encrypted messages.

I think this also helps; it's been a while since I configured MailCrypt.

  (setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types (cons "multipart/signed" gnus-buttonized-mime-types)

Also, Kai, this looks kind of broken:

--
 /
[|] Sean Neakums

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-06-30 20:13   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2002-06-30 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> jmarant@nerim.net (Jérôme Marant) writes:
>
>>   When I receive a signed message, Gnus does not show me
>>   that the message was signed since it removes the GPG header
>>   and footer.
>
> I think it shows it in the modeline.  There is something like "[  h ]"
> there.  Each position has a character, and one of them is reserved
> for signed/encrypted messages.

  I don't have such a tag in the modeline :|

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-06-30 20:16     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-06-30 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:

> Also, Kai, this looks kind of broken:

Argh.  What did I do?  I think I did nothing, the MFT header is
auto-generated.  Can anyone help?

I have added gnus-find-subscribed-addresses to
message-subscribed-address-functions, and that returns
"ding@gnus\\.org" in this group.  Hm.

kai

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-06-30 20:19     ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2002-06-30 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:

> I think this also helps; it's been a while since I configured MailCrypt.
>
>   (setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types (cons "multipart/signed" gnus-buttonized-mime-types)

  Works fine for me! Thanks a lot!

  Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-06-30 20:23     ` Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2002-06-30 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

commence  Jérôme Marant quotation:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>> I think it shows it in the modeline.  There is something like "[  h ]"
>> there.  Each position has a character, and one of them is reserved
>> for signed/encrypted messages.
>
>   I don't have such a tag in the modeline :|

It should be in the Article buffer's mode-line, unless something has
been changed.  For example:

 ----:---F1  Gnus: ding [ h    ] Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt 9:21PM 1.60 (Article MC-r)--L29--All-
                        ^^^^^^^^

--
 /
[|] Sean Neakums

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-06-30 20:26       ` Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2002-06-30 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

commence  Kai Großjohann quotation:

> Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:
>
>> Also, Kai, this looks kind of broken:

> Argh.  What did I do?  I think I did nothing, the MFT header is
> auto-generated.  Can anyone help?

I used to use this before hitting C-c C-c, until I started to trust
the MFT-generation code.  It may be helpful.

  (defun check-mft ()
    "Show what Message-Followup-To would be generated."
    (interactive)
    (save-excursion
      (message-options-set-recipient)
      (message (concat "MFT would be: " (message-make-mft)))))

The MFT in your last message looks fine, though:

--
 /
[|] Sean Neakums

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-06-30 20:27       ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2002-06-30 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:

> commence  Jérôme Marant quotation:
>
>> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>>> I think it shows it in the modeline.  There is something like "[  h ]"
>>> there.  Each position has a character, and one of them is reserved
>>> for signed/encrypted messages.
>>
>>   I don't have such a tag in the modeline :|
>
> It should be in the Article buffer's mode-line, unless something has
> been changed.  For example:
>
>  ----:---F1  Gnus: ding [ h    ] Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt 9:21PM 1.60 (Article MC-r)--L29--All-

  I neither have that :|

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-06-30 21:20         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-06-30 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

jmarant@nerim.net (Jérôme Marant) writes:

> Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:
>
>> commence  Jérôme Marant quotation:

>>>   I don't have such a tag in the modeline :|
>>
>> It should be in the Article buffer's mode-line, unless something has
>> been changed.  For example:
>>
>>  ----:---F1  Gnus: ding [ h    ] Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt 9:21PM 1.60 (Article MC-r)--L29--All-
>
>   I neither have that :|

What's your `gnus-article-mode-line-format' setting?

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-06-30 21:45         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-06-30 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jun 30 2002, Jérôme Marant wrote:

> Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:
>
>> commence  Jérôme Marant quotation:
[...]
>> It should be in the Article buffer's mode-line, unless something has
>> been changed.  For example:
>>
>>  ----:---F1  Gnus: ding [ h    ] Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt [...]

>   I neither have that :|

"h" is for "Hidden headers", "p" for pgp:

,----[ C-h v gnus-article-wash-status-strings RET ]
| gnus-article-wash-status-strings's value is shown below.
|
| Documentation:
| Alist of strings describing wash status in the mode line.
| Each entry has the form (KEY ON OF), where the KEY is a symbol
| representing the particular washing function, ON is the string to use
| in the article mode line when the washing function is active, and OFF
| is the string to use when it is inactive.
[...]
|   #("p" 0 1
|     (help-echo "Encrypted or signed message status hidden"))
[...]
|   #("h" 0 1
|     (help-echo "Hidden headers"))
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-07-01  5:27           ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2002-07-01  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What's your `gnus-article-mode-line-format' setting?

This is the default value, I think:

"Gnus: %g [%w] %S%m"

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-07-01 23:41       ` Joseph Barillari
From: Joseph Barillari @ 2002-07-01 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

    JM> Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:
    >> I think this also helps; it's been a while since I configured
    >> MailCrypt.
    >>
    >> (setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types (cons "multipart/signed"
    >> gnus-buttonized-mime-types)

    JM>   Works fine for me! Thanks a lot!

I'm surprised. In my installation, gnus-buttonized-mime-types doesn't
get defined until _after_ .gnus is loaded, so emacs choked on the line:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable gnus-buttonized-mime-types)
  (cons "multipart/signed" gnus-buttonized-mime-types)
        (blah (blah blah)...)

I added "multipart/signed" to my customize entry instead.

Should the line above have worked? I'm new to elisp, but I thought you
couldn't assign to a variable if the RHS of the expression was defined
in terms of the variable itself, and the variable wasn't yet
defined. Should emacs assume that gnus-buttonized-mime-types would
evaluate to an empty list? Or is gnus-buttonized-mime-types supposed
to be defined by the time .gnus-reading happens?

Thanks,

 --Joe

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-07-02  0:41         ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-07-02  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joseph Barillari <jbarilla@princeton.edu> writes:

> I'm surprised. In my installation, gnus-buttonized-mime-types
> doesn't get defined until _after_ .gnus is loaded, so emacs choked
> on the line:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable gnus-buttonized-mime-types)
>   (cons "multipart/signed" gnus-buttonized-mime-types)
>         (blah (blah blah)...)
>
> I added "multipart/signed" to my customize entry instead.
>
> Should the line above have worked? I'm new to elisp, but I thought you
> couldn't assign to a variable if the RHS of the expression was defined
> in terms of the variable itself, and the variable wasn't yet
> defined. Should emacs assume that gnus-buttonized-mime-types would
> evaluate to an empty list? Or is gnus-buttonized-mime-types supposed
> to be defined by the time .gnus-reading happens?

It's defined in gnus-art.el, so if you want to modify the value from
.gnus.el, perhaps before all of gnus has been loaded, you must
specifically tell Emacs to load the gnus-art module:

(require 'gnus-art)
[modify gnus-buttonized-mime-types here]

Otherwise you're right -- what would emacs do?  Even if you did set to
a particular value (i.e. not reference the original variable in the
RHS of the statement), when gnus-art.el got loaded the value would be
overwritten...

hope that helps,

--
Josh Huber

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-07-02  8:41         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-02  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Joseph Barillari <jbarilla@princeton.edu> writes:

> I'm surprised. In my installation, gnus-buttonized-mime-types doesn't
> get defined until _after_ .gnus is loaded, so emacs choked on the line:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable gnus-buttonized-mime-types)
>   (cons "multipart/signed" gnus-buttonized-mime-types)
>         (blah (blah blah)...)

The normal procedure is to find out in which file the variable is
defined (with C-h v, when it is defined).  Then you can put (require
'foo) into your .gnus file, where foo is the filename.

kai

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-07-02  8:47           ` Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2002-07-02  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

commence  Josh Huber quotation:

[snip discussion of setting gnus-buttonized-mime-types]

I should probably have posted the entire chunk that I use to get the
variable set:

(eval-after-load "gnus-art"
   '(setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types
          (cons "multipart/signed" gnus-buttonized-mime-types)))

> Otherwise you're right -- what would emacs do?  Even if you did set to
> a particular value (i.e. not reference the original variable in the
> RHS of the statement), when gnus-art.el got loaded the value would be
> overwritten...

It won't.  defvar and defcustom don't (AFAIK) destroy pre-exiting
variable bindings.

--
 /
[|] Sean Neakums

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-07-02 17:41             ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-07-02 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:

> It won't.  defvar and defcustom don't (AFAIK) destroy pre-exiting
> variable bindings.

Of course, you're right.  It only does when interactivly evaling the
form. (sorry!)

--
Josh Huber

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-07-03 15:41               ` Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2002-07-03 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

commence  Josh Huber quotation:

> Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:
>
>> It won't.  defvar and defcustom don't (AFAIK) destroy pre-exiting
>> variable bindings.
>
> Of course, you're right.  It only does when interactivly evaling the
> form. (sorry!)

I just did (setq blorp 2) and evaluated (defvar blorp 1) using C-j in
*scratch*, using C-x C-e in *scratch* and using M-:, and blorp remains
bound to 2.

Or do I misundertand what you're saying here?

--
 /
[|] Sean Neakums

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-07-03 16:31                 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-03 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:

> I just did (setq blorp 2) and evaluated (defvar blorp 1) using C-j in
> *scratch*, using C-x C-e in *scratch* and using M-:, and blorp remains
> bound to 2.

Try C-M-x.  That has a special case for defvar.

kai

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-07-03 18:11                   ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-07-03 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Try C-M-x.  That has a special case for defvar.

Right, it's mentioned in the help for devfar:

INITVALUE is evaluated, and used to set SYMBOL, only if SYMBOL's value is
 void. (However, when you evaluate a defvar interactively, it acts like a
 defconst: SYMBOL's value is always set regardless of whether it's currently
 void.)

--
Josh Huber

* defvar and interactive evaluation
@ 2002-07-04  7:52                   ` Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2002-07-04  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

commence  Kai Großjohann quotation:

> Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:
>
>> I just did (setq blorp 2) and evaluated (defvar blorp 1) using C-j in
>> *scratch*, using C-x C-e in *scratch* and using M-:, and blorp remains
>> bound to 2.
>
> Try C-M-x.  That has a special case for defvar.

C-h c C-M-x on my Emacs 21 (version 21.1) claims that it is undefined.
What's it bound to on your system?

--
 /
[|] Sean Neakums

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-07-04  7:54                     ` Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2002-07-04  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

commence  Josh Huber quotation:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Try C-M-x.  That has a special case for defvar.
>
> Right, it's mentioned in the help for devfar:
>
> INITVALUE is evaluated, and used to set SYMBOL, only if SYMBOL's
> value is void. (However, when you evaluate a defvar interactively,
> it acts like a defconst: SYMBOL's value is always set regardless of
> whether it's currently void.)

Is this XEmacs-specific?  I see no such text in the docstring for GNU
Emacs 21's defvar.

--
 /
[|] Sean Neakums

* Re: defvar and interactive evaluation
@ 2002-07-04 10:27                     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-04 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:

> C-h c C-M-x on my Emacs 21 (version 21.1) claims that it is undefined.
> What's it bound to on your system?

It's only bound in Emacs Lisp mode I think.

kai

* Re: Gnus and Mailcrypt
@ 2002-07-05 17:08                       ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-07-05 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:

> Is this XEmacs-specific?  I see no such text in the docstring for
> GNU Emacs 21's defvar.

Actually, I don't know.  I guess I assumed it wasn't but perhaps it
is...

--
Josh Huber