* deal with Netscape ~/.mailcap entries?
@ 1998-11-30 14:28 Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-11-30 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

pgnus 0.56.

If the ~/.mailcap file contains the following lines, strange things
happen:

,-----
| #mailcap entry added by Netscape Helper
| application/octet-stream;;\
|         x-mozilla-flags=save
`-----

Please note that no viewer has been given.  Is it possible to edit
this entry such that *both* the x-mozialla-flags are retained *and*
pgnus knows that it should save this part?

I have now told the user to just delete this, and I'm confident that
this will do something meaningful.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: deal with Netscape ~/.mailcap entries?
@ 1998-11-30 22:07 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-30 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> | #mailcap entry added by Netscape Helper
> | application/octet-stream;;\
> |         x-mozilla-flags=save
> `-----
>
> Please note that no viewer has been given.

>From my reading of the mailcap manual page, this seems to be invalid.

> Is it possible to edit this entry such that *both* the
> x-mozialla-flags are retained *and* pgnus knows that it should save
> this part?

I don't think Gnus should try to understand proprietary flags created
by other programs.

* Re: deal with Netscape ~/.mailcap entries?
@ 1998-12-01  2:19   ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1998-12-01  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:
>
> > | #mailcap entry added by Netscape Helper
> > | application/octet-stream;;\
> > |         x-mozilla-flags=save
> > `-----
> >
> > Please note that no viewer has been given.
>
> >From my reading of the mailcap manual page, this seems to be invalid.
>
> > Is it possible to edit this entry such that *both* the
> > x-mozialla-flags are retained *and* pgnus knows that it should save
> > this part?
>
> I don't think Gnus should try to understand proprietary flags created
> by other programs.

  Exactly.  Hence the 'x-' :)

  A custom/widget based mailcap editor has been on my todo list for
FOREVER.  Anybody care to take a stab at it?

-Bill P.

* Re: deal with Netscape ~/.mailcap entries?
@ 1998-12-01 10:06   ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-12-01 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > I don't think Gnus should try to understand proprietary flags created
  > by other programs.

Hm.  I wanted to suggest the following behavior:

If there is an entry in the .mailcap file which Gnus doesn't
understand at all, pretend it wasn't there.

I'll have to check with the user to see what actually happened with
the entry present.  I think Gnus currently does something different
with the entry than without.

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* Re: deal with Netscape ~/.mailcap entries?
@ 1998-12-01 13:22     ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1998-12-01 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>   > I don't think Gnus should try to understand proprietary flags created
>   > by other programs.
>
> Hm.  I wanted to suggest the following behavior:
>
> If there is an entry in the .mailcap file which Gnus doesn't understand
> at all, pretend it wasn't there.
>
> I'll have to check with the user to see what actually happened with the
> entry present.  I think Gnus currently does something different with the
> entry than without.

  The fact that there was an empty 'viewer' section is probably what
confused it.  Did Gnus try to launch '' as the viewer by chance?

-Bill P.