* POP not working in GNUS 5.6.44
@ 1998-11-10 14:48 Jeremy D. Zawodny
From: Jeremy D. Zawodny @ 1998-11-10 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: zawodny, jzawodn

Hm.

The saga continues. I have Gnus shared between Linux and NT quite well
now, except that POP seems not to work on the Linux side. (In other
words, news works fine, mail does not.) I can see existing mail in my
Mail folders just fine--I just can POP new mail.

The relevant parts of my .emacs:

 (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))
 (setq nnmail-spool-file "po:zawodny")
 (setq nnmail-movemail-program 'nnmail-pop3-movemail)
 (setq pop3-maildrop "zawodny")
 (setq pop3-mailhost "houinet.hst.moc.com")
 (setq pop3-password "PaSsWoRd")
 (setq pop3-authentication-scheme 'pass)

The first time that I M-x gnus, things work well until the pop stuff
starts to kick in. I see the following in my *Messages* buffer:

And then it just sits there... forever (I left it overnight). I have
to C-g to get control back.

I'm running Emacs 20.3.1 on RedHat 5.1, and I even tried recompiling
Emacs with the '--with-pop' option.

If I quit out of Gnus and instead start with M-x gnus-no-server, I can
'g' and get it to connect to my POP server. I get a 'trace of POP
session to houinet.hst.moc.com' buffer which says:

 +OK UCB Pop server (version 1.831beta) at houinet1 starting.

Which would tell me that Gnus is never bothering to talk to my POP
server after connecting. But again, it just hangs there and I have to
C-g to get control back--then I can visit the trace buffer and see the
above line. I have manually verified the the POP server is work as
expected.

I've looked through the pop3.el file that comes with Gnus 5.6.44 and
see nothing odd about it.

Any ideas? How can I debug this further?

I've checked the Emacs and Gnus FAQs as well as the Gnus
manual. Nothing spoke to me there. I've used 'describe-variable' and
'describe-function' to verify that the values are set to what I think
they should be, and still no problem.

Thanks for any help,

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny       Web Geek, Perl Hacker, etc.
Marathon Oil Company    zawodny@hou.moc.com

LOAD "LINUX",8,1

* Re: POP not working in GNUS 5.6.44
@ 1998-11-10 15:46 ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-11-10 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, jzawodn

You don't need to use pop3.el with Emacs under Linux.  You can follow
the instructions given in the node `Mail Backend Variables' of the
Gnus info file (see the variable nnmail-spool-file), and in the node
`Movemail' of the Emacs info file.

Basically, (setq nnmail-spool-file "po:zawodny") as you have done
already, then (setenv "MAILHOST" "houinet.hst.moc.com").

Take care to use the Emacs compiled with ``-with-pop''.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: POP not working in GNUS 5.6.44
@ 1998-11-10 16:47   ` Jeremy D. Zawodny
From: Jeremy D. Zawodny @ 1998-11-10 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jeremy D. Zawodny, ding, jzawodn

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> You don't need to use pop3.el with Emacs under Linux.

No, but I'm trying to keep my setup between Linux and NT as similar as
possible. Therefore I'm using POP on both.

In any case, a little hacking with pop3.el from Gnus 5.6.44 solved the
problem:

--- snip ---

*** pop3.el	Tue Nov 10 11:38:34 1998
--- pop3.el~	Tue Nov 10 11:42:10 1998
***************
*** 156,158 ****
        (goto-char pop3-read-point)
!       (while (not (search-forward "\r\n" nil t))
  	(accept-process-output process 3)
--- 156,158 ----
        (goto-char pop3-read-point)
!       (while (not (search-forward "\n" nil t))
  	(accept-process-output process 3)
***************
*** 295,297 ****
        (set-buffer (process-buffer process))
!       (while (not (re-search-forward "^\\.\r\n" nil t))
  	(accept-process-output process 3)
--- 295,297 ----
        (set-buffer (process-buffer process))
!       (while (not (re-search-forward "^\\.\n" nil t))
  	(accept-process-output process 3)

--- snip ---

It appeas as if either:

(1) Emacs is removing the \r characters from the network stream.

OR

(2) Our POP server is never sending them.

I'm not sure which at this point. I'll probably dig into it later.

In any case, it worked. I can now share my Gnus setup between NT and
Linux with all the Mail/News files sitting on a remote NT box. :-)

Jeremy
--

@ 1998-11-11  8:15     ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-11-11  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, jzawodn

  > (1) Emacs is removing the \r characters from the network stream.

This is possible depending on the coding system used for the network
connection.  I think.  But I don't really grok this MULE stuff.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.