* Different content types with nnweb?
@ 2001-05-27 20:30 David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2001-05-27 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm mildly abusing nnweb into acting as a front-end to the Debian
bug-tracking system.  This is actually going pretty well so far, since
I can toss together a list of "articles" out of a package's bug-list
page, and nnweb will present that in the summary buffer.  So far, so
good.

What I'd like to do for a first pass is to read in the page containing
all of the traffic for a particular bug, slap some headers on to it,
and just have Gnus display it as an HTML page.  If I put
seems to just ignore it; the body is just displayed as (unformatted)
HTML.  Is there some trick to making this work?

(And what I'd *really* like to do is translate the page into something
along the lines of a normal digest.  Are there any pointers as to the
format I should use for this?  [Didn't gnus.org used to have links to
useful RFCs somewhere?]  Can I co-opt mml, create an mml document from
the HTML page, and then translate that into something viewable as an
article?)

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell

* Re: Different content types with nnweb?
@ 2001-05-27 20:38 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-05-27 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 27 May 2001, David Z. Maze wrote:

> I'm mildly abusing nnweb into acting as a front-end to the Debian
> bug-tracking system.  This is actually going pretty well so far,
> since I can toss together a list of "articles" out of a package's
> bug-list page, and nnweb will present that in the summary buffer.
> So far, so good.

Way cool.

> What I'd like to do for a first pass is to read in the page
> containing all of the traffic for a particular bug, slap some
> headers on to it, and just have Gnus display it as an HTML page.  If
> I put "Content-Type: text/html" at the front of the article, though,
> Gnus seems to just ignore it; the body is just displayed as
> (unformatted) HTML.  Is there some trick to making this work?

Make sure it's in the header, not the body.  Also you will need
charset declaration, too.  But maybe you can extract that from the
HTML generated by the Debian thingy.

To summarize:

> (And what I'd *really* like to do is translate the page into
> something along the lines of a normal digest.  Are there any
> pointers as to the format I should use for this?  [Didn't gnus.org
> used to have links to useful RFCs somewhere?]  Can I co-opt mml,
> create an mml document from the HTML page, and then translate that
> into something viewable as an article?)

Hm.  There are different formats.  But surely, maybe MIME would be
best.  I guess you can use mml-generate-mime for MML->MIME conversion.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Different content types with nnweb?
@ 2001-05-27 20:47   ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2001-05-27 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:
Kai> On 27 May 2001, David Z. Maze wrote:
 DZM> What I'd like to do for a first pass is to read in the page
 DZM> containing all of the traffic for a particular bug, slap some
 DZM> headers on to it, and just have Gnus display it as an HTML page.  If
 DZM> I put "Content-Type: text/html" at the front of the article, though,
 DZM> Gnus seems to just ignore it; the body is just displayed as
 DZM> (unformatted) HTML.  Is there some trick to making this work?
Kai>
Kai> Make sure it's in the header, not the body.  Also you will need
Kai> charset declaration, too.  But maybe you can extract that from the
Kai> HTML generated by the Debian thingy.
Kai>
Kai> To summarize:

Aah, excellent.  (I didn't have Mime-Version or c-t-e before.)  Now I
get, well, somewhat ugly w3-ified HTML, but this is probably a step up
over plain text.

 DZM> (And what I'd *really* like to do is translate the page into
 DZM> something along the lines of a normal digest.  Are there any
 DZM> pointers as to the format I should use for this?  [Didn't gnus.org
 DZM> used to have links to useful RFCs somewhere?]  Can I co-opt mml,
 DZM> create an mml document from the HTML page, and then translate that
 DZM> into something viewable as an article?)
Kai>
Kai> Hm.  There are different formats.  But surely, maybe MIME would be
Kai> best.  I guess you can use mml-generate-mime for MML->MIME conversion.

Okay, I'll look into both of those.  Thanks!

--

@ 2001-05-27 20:52     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-05-27 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 27 May 2001, David Z. Maze wrote:

> Okay, I'll look into both of those.  Thanks!

I forgot to point you at nndoc-type-alist.  That should give you some
hints on what a digest should look like.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory