* can't G-DEL group with procmail?
@ 2001-02-18  2:50 Nick Papadonis
From: Nick Papadonis @ 2001-02-18  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Re: Oort GNUS v0.01
Hi.

I just tried creating a group with `G m'.
Then I tried to delete it with `G DEL' and gnus says
group deletion isn't supported with my 'mail backend'.

Is this because I'm reading from procmail files?  Shouldn't I have the
ability to create new groups, move messages in those groups, then
delete them?

Anyone use procmail and have this problem too?

I suck in my from procmail with the following in my ".gnus".
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; FOR PROCMAIL ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
(setq
      gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml ""))                      ; Incoming Mail
      nnml-get-new-mail t
      mail-sources
      '((directory
         :path "~/incoming/"
         :suffix "")))
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; END PROCMAIL ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

--
- Nick

* Re: can't G-DEL group with procmail?
@ 2001-02-18  3:41 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-02-18  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Papadonis <npapadon@yahoo.com> writes:

> Re: Oort GNUS v0.01
> Hi.
>
> I just tried creating a group with `G m'.
> Then I tried to delete it with `G DEL' and gnus says
> group deletion isn't supported with my 'mail backend'.

What backend did you choose after the `G m'

> Is this because I'm reading from procmail files?  Shouldn't I have the
> ability to create new groups, move messages in those groups, then
> delete them?

No  some backends don't support B del deletion... in that case use C-k

* Re: can't G-DEL group with procmail?
@ 2001-02-18  4:59   ` Nick Papadonis
From: Nick Papadonis @ 2001-02-18  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Nick Papadonis <npapadon@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Re: Oort GNUS v0.01
> > Hi.
> >
> > I just tried creating a group with `G m'.
> > Then I tried to delete it with `G DEL' and gnus says
> > group deletion isn't supported with my 'mail backend'.
>
> What backend did you choose after the `G m'
It was wierd, at first it just asked me for a group name, then from method.

I'm actually just confused. I'm basically trying to create a (maybe
nnml) group to archive/sort some messages.  I thought `G m' was the
appropriate command.  I guess not.

--

@ 2001-02-18  6:55     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-02-18  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Papadonis <npapadon@yahoo.com> writes:

> > Nick Papadonis <npapadon@yahoo.com> writes:
> >
> > > Re: Oort GNUS v0.01
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > I just tried creating a group with `G m'.
> > > Then I tried to delete it with `G DEL' and gnus says
> > > group deletion isn't supported with my 'mail backend'.
> >
> > What backend did you choose after the `G m'
> It was wierd, at first it just asked me for a group name, then from method.

When it asks `From  backend' you are supposed to type the name of the
backend you want.  Since your secondary select is nnml then an nnml
backend would be a good choice.  Although you could chose any of the
gnus backends.

> I'm actually just confused. I'm basically trying to create a (maybe
> nnml) group to archive/sort some messages.  I thought `G m' was the
> appropriate command.  I guess not.

Not sure what you mean by `archive/sort'.  But  you can create an
nnml group by giving `nnml' as backend when prompted for `From
backend'.

Another easy may is to copy a message to a group name of your choice
by pressing `B c' on a message and giving the name you chose, gnus
creates the group for you.

* Re: can't G-DEL group with procmail?
@ 2001-02-18 10:41 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-02-18 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 17 Feb 2001, Nick Papadonis wrote:

> I just tried creating a group with `G m'.
> Then I tried to delete it with `G DEL' and gnus says
> group deletion isn't supported with my 'mail backend'.

`G m' asks you for a group name and a server name (or is it backend?).
The nnml backend supports group deletion, but if you typed nntp, say,
then you can't delete groups.

I think you want to answer "nnml:" (with the colon, but without the
quotes) when it asks you for a backend/server/select method.

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.