* Frame/window configuration issues using gnuclient
@ 2000-05-25 18:47 Reid Rivenburgh
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Reid Rivenburgh @ 2000-05-25 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I normally keep an XEmacs/Gnus running all the time at work.  Now that
I have a DSL line at home (whee), I'd like to be able to do a
gnuclient at home and get a temporary frame for accessing Gnus.  The
problem is that Gnus gets confused about frame and window
configurations; I believe that because the *Article* buffer is already
visible in my work frame, for example, it doesn't try to display it in
my home frame as per my gnus configuration and I end up doing a bunch
of manual switching of buffers.  It'd be perfect if XEmacs considered
the two different displays completely separate in this regard.  Has
anyone else faced this problem?  Is there a way around it?

Thanks,
Reid

* Re: Frame/window configuration issues using gnuclient
@ 2000-05-25 20:01 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2000-05-25 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reid Rivenburgh <reid@lanl.gov> writes:
> problem is that Gnus gets confused about frame and window
> configurations; I believe that because the *Article* buffer is already
> visible in my work frame

This is a fairly fundamental difficulty with XEmacs' use of visible
buffers.  The only workaround of which I'm aware is not to leave any
Gnus buffers visible in the "origin" XEmacs frame, when you use that
same process via gnuclient.  You can demonstrate the same problem
merely by instantiating a new frame on the same system with `C-x 5'.

(I use gnuclient like this all the time, for the same reason.)

* Re: Frame/window configuration issues using gnuclient
@ 2000-05-25 20:03 ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2000-05-25 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Reid> ...  It'd be perfect if XEmacs considered the
 Reid> two different displays completely separate in this regard.  Has
 Reid> anyone else faced this problem?  Is there a way around it?

I've faced the same problem. The only solution I know of is to quit
gnus and restart it from the new frame. If anyone has a better
solution let me know.

-Nevin

* Re: Frame/window configuration issues using gnuclient
@ 2000-05-25 21:01   ` Rupa Schomaker
From: Rupa Schomaker @ 2000-05-25 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> writes:

>  Reid> ...  It'd be perfect if XEmacs considered the
>  Reid> two different displays completely separate in this regard.  Has
>  Reid> anyone else faced this problem?  Is there a way around it?
>
> I've faced the same problem. The only solution I know of is to quit
> gnus and restart it from the new frame. If anyone has a better
> solution let me know.

or you can kill the other frams (M-x delete-other-frames) and then
recreate them where you need them (M-x create-frame-on-display).

--
-rupa

* Re: Frame/window configuration issues using gnuclient
@ 2000-05-25 21:21 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-25 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Reid Rivenburgh <reid@lanl.gov> writes:

> I normally keep an XEmacs/Gnus running all the time at work.  Now that
> I have a DSL line at home (whee), I'd like to be able to do a
> gnuclient at home and get a temporary frame for accessing Gnus.  The
> problem is that Gnus gets confused about frame and window
> configurations;

Does it help to say M-x gnus-group-suspend RET before firing it up
again on the home display?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.