From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE
Subject: Re: gnus-summary-enter-digest-group
Date: 26 Feb 1999 16:37:00 +0100	[thread overview]

  > I think so.  But perhaps we have taken the two options to an
  > extreme.  The nndoc view of MIME is totally pedantic, and displays
  > absolutely all information there is about a MIME multipart -- more
  > information that anybody wants.  The Gnus inline view of a MIME
  > multipart goes overboard the other way, trying to hide all
  > MIME-ness from the viewer, and presenting a purdy, seamless whole.

I think I can now explain my position much better.  Maybe my
understanding of multipart is wrong, but I thought that each part is
preceded by the delimiter and a few headers.  Thus, the number of
parts should be equal to the number of delimiters.

Now, look at the following excerpt from a mail:

,----- (quite a few headers elided)
| To: ding@gnus.org
| Subject: one more example of weird highlighting (colouring)
| From: Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru>
| Date: 22 Feb 1999 01:45:47 +0300
|
| This is a MIME multipart message.  If you are reading
| this, you shouldn't.
|
| --=-=-=
|
| Hi,
|
| here is it (again, view via C-d):
|

| --=-=-=
|
| From: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>
| Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 16:28:30 -0500 (EST)
| Subject: Re: Routing Table (Feature)
|
| On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
|
| > Hello!
`-----

In the above, one sees two occurrences of "--=-=-=", thus, one would
expect two parts.  nndoc displays three parts, though!  The `here it
is again' part is a text/plain part, then there's a message/rfc822
part *and* a text/plain part for the stuff after the second
delimiter.  Why is that?  IMO there should only be a message/rfc822
part and nothing else.

I mean, it is nice that nndoc is very very pedantic.  But exactly the
pedanticness requirement would mean that it displayes two parts, not
three, right?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, here.  Please enlighten me.

kai
--
I like _\bb_\bo_\bt_\bh kinds of music.