* nnimap summary: view ALL headers
@ 2002-09-04 10:36 gnus
From: gnus @ 2002-09-04 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Howdy!

I'm just switching to gnus for my email environment.  I've been stuck
with Windogs for the last 6 months, and was using Outlook Express with
an imaps (courier) server.  Now I'm back to Linux and Emacs, yay!

I've identified gnus as being the best emacs mail program to do imap.
It seems to be most naturally suited to reading messages on a remote
server, right?  And it does SSL, GPG, LDAP (maybe...), and other nifty
things that I want.  Very cool!

However, getting started with gnus as a mail reader (and no experience
with it as a news reader, either) is turning out to be frustrating.
If I can solve this one problem I'll be more or less set:

Gnus treats messages marked 'read' as deleted.  That makes sense to me
for news, but not for email, especially since I've come from using OE
which has marked most of my email as 'read.'  I can't seem to figure
out how to display ALL message headers, including the ones marked
'read.'  It doesn't seem to be related to gnus's 'limiting'
facilities.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Next, if articles marked as 'read' are treated as deleted by gnus, how
do I reconcile that with using another imap client to read email?
Does this mean that each time I read a message through, eg., the web
mail interface, I will have to go back and uncheck the 'read' box?

Thanks for any help.  I'd appreciate a CC: on any replies, there's no
way I'm subscribing to this group until I have gnus working fully!  ;)

        John

* Re: nnimap summary: view ALL headers
@ 2002-09-04 11:30 ` Remco B. Brink
From: Remco B. Brink @ 2002-09-04 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: gnus

gnus@butchwax.com writes:
> I'm just switching to gnus for my email environment.  I've been stuck
> with Windogs for the last 6 months, and was using Outlook Express with
> an imaps (courier) server.  Now I'm back to Linux and Emacs, yay!

Welcome back :)

> Gnus treats messages marked 'read' as deleted.

Incorrect.

Gnus treats read messages as read. No point in showing you read
messages again unless you marked them as important (hit 'u' in the
article buffer) or unless you request to see old message:

In the group buffer, try the following:
  C-u <space>

Assuming the mailbox or newsgroup doesn't contain too many postings,
this will show them to you. If the group contains too many postings
Gnus will ask you how many posts you want to see.

You can also, from the groupbuffer, try the following:
  C-u 10 <space>

This will show you the last 10 postings for the selected group.

most kind regards,
Remco

--
   Remco B. Brink -- Information Systems Developer, Opera Software ASA
Personal site at http://rc6.org - PGP/GnuPG key at http://rc6.org/rbb.pgp

"God, root, what is difference?"

* Re: nnimap summary: view ALL headers
@ 2002-09-04 11:37 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-04 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

gnus@butchwax.com writes:

> Gnus treats messages marked 'read' as deleted.  That makes sense to me
> for news, but not for email, especially since I've come from using OE
> which has marked most of my email as 'read.'  I can't seem to figure
> out how to display ALL message headers, including the ones marked
> 'read.'  It doesn't seem to be related to gnus's 'limiting'
> facilities.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

There is a "see old articles" menu entry in the *Group* buffer (the
list of groups).  You can also use C-u RET or C-u SPC or C-u = to
enter the group -- without C-u, these keys show the unread messages
only, with C-u they also show those that are marked as read.

kai

* Re: nnimap summary: view ALL headers
@ 2002-09-08 16:04   ` gnus
From: gnus @ 2002-09-08 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Howdy!  Thanks for TWO responses!

remco@rc6.org (Remco B. Brink) writes:

> >  Now I'm back to Linux and Emacs, yay!
> Welcome back :)

Whew, thanks!  It sure is nice to be back.  :)

> In the group buffer, try the following:
>   C-u <space>

Ahhhh, there it is!  And, ....

Kai Großjohann (Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE) writes:

> There is a "see old articles" menu entry in the *Group* buffer (the
> list of groups).  You can also use C-u RET or C-u SPC or C-u = to
> enter the group -- without C-u, these keys show the unread messages
> only, with C-u they also show those that are marked as read.

Yes!!!  Thank you!

Those are what it took to get me started.  Gnus is very nice, once I
wrapped my head around the concept of using a newsreader to read mail.
:) Now I've got my mail splitting properly, something I've never had
in my life (I'm a sysadmin, so I should have, but I've been too lazy
to get that working server-side ;), and I got all the flags set
correctly and my summary lines like I want, so now everything is
making sense!

Sorry, I've got another question now.  :) Mutt (blah, tried that
before Gnus) has a really nifty feature where you can set the From:
header depending on different rules.  For example, when replying to a
'ding@gnus.org' article (do I really have to use usenet vocabulary for
my mail now?  :), I'd like the From: header to appear as
'gnus@butchwax.com,' and when replying to an
'openldap-users@openldap.org' article, I'd like the From: header to
appear as 'openldap@butchwax.com.'  Is this something I need to
control from gnus or message?  Seems like gnus, since message might
not have full access to the original article's headers.  Is this
common practice amongst you gnus/mail users?  I've been using this
(creating new email addresses for new entities) as a stupid
spam-control method for a while now.  It's been very effective,
especially since I can track who's been giving my email out to
spammers (who'd have thought onebox.com would give my email address to
the weight loss and university diploma spammers?!?).

Thanks again!  Gnus rocks!  BTW, if I can find the time, I'll write up
a HOWTO/quickstart guide for folks converting from conventional
mailers to gnus.  I think if you're not already a gnus user, it's not
obvious.....  Let me know if you think this is a good idea, or if you
think I'm just being a whiny punk!

@ 2002-09-08 18:07     ` Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 2002-09-08 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

gnus@butchwax.com writes:

> Sorry, I've got another question now.  :) Mutt (blah, tried that
> before Gnus) has a really nifty feature where you can set the From:
> header depending on different rules.  For example, when replying to a
> 'ding@gnus.org' article (do I really have to use usenet vocabulary for
> my mail now?  :), I'd like the From: header to appear as
> 'gnus@butchwax.com,' and when replying to an
> 'openldap-users@openldap.org' article, I'd like the From: header to
> appear as 'openldap@butchwax.com.'  Is this something I need to
> control from gnus or message?

If you split the mailing lists into their own groups, you can set a
'Posting Style' to set your address in the Group Properties.