* Re: gnus reads my mail
       [not found] <m2hejyuqmm.fsf@tnuctip.rychter.com>
@ 2002-06-20 11:48 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-06-20 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jan Rychter <jan@rychter.com> writes:

> One of my nnml mail groups (actually, my main "default" group) exhibits
> strange behavior: quite often all unread messages will get marked as
> read. I can't really understand when or why this happens, but it seems
> to be related to quitting gnus -- if I keep gnus running, it doesn't
> happen.

Does it help to remove the ".marks" file?

kai

@ 2002-06-20 12:04 ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]   ` <m2bsa436hg.fsf@tnuctip.rychter.com>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-06-20 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Jan Rychter wrote:

> One of my nnml mail groups (actually, my main "default" group) exhibits
> strange behavior: quite often all unread messages will get marked as
> read. I can't really understand when or why this happens, but it seems
> to be related to quitting gnus -- if I keep gnus running, it doesn't
> happen.
>
> Only one group exhibits this behavior. It hasn't done that before, but I
> did some serious group renaming about two weeks ago (using G
> r). Unfortunately, I am not sure when this started happening: it could
> be related to the renaming, but it could also be related to the cvs
> update on the Oort gnus that I run.
>
> Any hints on where I can look to fix this?

Does disabling gnus-agent, gnus-agent-cache, nnml-marks-is-evil change
anything?

@ 2002-06-21 12:23 ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2002-06-21 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Jan Rychter <jan@rychter.com> was heard to say:
| One of my nnml mail groups (actually, my main "default" group) exhibits
| strange behavior: quite often all unread messages will get marked as
| read. I can't really understand when or why this happens, but it seems
| to be related to quitting gnus -- if I keep gnus running, it doesn't
| happen.

This is the same problem that I reported some weeks ago.

| Any hints on where I can look to fix this?

No, but if you figure it out, please tell us (me!).

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | The facts, although interesting, are
http://nwalsh.com/            | usually irrelevant.

* Re: gnus reads my mail
@ 2002-06-21 12:23   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2002-06-21 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai was heard to say:
| Does it help to remove the ".marks" file?

What .marks file?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Truth lies within a little uncertain
http://nwalsh.com/            | compass, but error is immense.

* Re: gnus reads my mail
       [not found]   ` <m2bsa436hg.fsf@tnuctip.rychter.com>
@ 2002-06-21 19:43     ` Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 2002-06-21 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Rychter <jan@rychter.com> writes:

>  Simon> Does disabling gnus-agent, gnus-agent-cache, nnml-marks-is-evil
>  Simon> change anything?
>
> I tried setting gnus-agent-cache to nil, which didn't improve things,
> and then I additionally set nnml-marks-is-evil to t, which indeed made
> the problem disappear. I still have (gnus-agentize) in my .gnus.
>
> I've also looked at the .marks file in my "in" group and it reads
> (reformatted here):

.marks file?  I have nnml-marks-is-evil set to nil but no marks files
AFAIK.  Where should I find them?

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de

* Re: gnus reads my mail
@ 2002-06-22 11:05     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-06-22 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> / Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai was heard to say:
> | Does it help to remove the ".marks" file?
>
> What .marks file?

The file ~/Mail/group/name/.marks.  Do you have such files?

kai

* Re: gnus reads my mail
@ 2002-06-22 11:06       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-06-22 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:

> .marks file?  I have nnml-marks-is-evil set to nil but no marks files
> AFAIK.  Where should I find them?

nnml groups have files ~/Mail/group/name/.marks.
nnfolder groups have files ~/Mail/group/name.mrk.

kai

* Re: gnus reads my mail
@ 2002-06-24 11:39       ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2002-06-24 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai was heard to say:
| Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
|
|> / Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai was heard to say:
|> | Does it help to remove the ".marks" file?
|>
|> What .marks file?
|
| The file ~/Mail/group/name/.marks.  Do you have such files?

Aha! The culprit!

In my .newsrc.eld, I find:

  ("nnml:misc" 2 ((1 . 9429)) ...)

and in ~/Mail/misc/.marks:

  ((read (1 . 14321)) ...)

I'm willing to bet that I used to have 14321 messages before I 'B m'd
them to misc to remove a huge range of missing message numbers.

How did they get out of sync? A bug, I suppose...

So, according to the info pages, I can just blow away the .marks file
and it'll get rebuilt. I suppose I could also just disable marks
files. What to do?

1. Disable .marks?
2. Delete all the out-of-sync .marks
   2a. Is there a tool that will compare .newsrc.eld files with .marks?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Clearness is so eminently one of the