* custom function to modify Gcc
@ 2001-08-14 18:23 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2001-08-14 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I looked through the archives but couldn't find hints on this.  How
would I make Gnus append the "status" group to the Gcc header, if
certain conditions (e.g. To: and Subject: regexes match)  are met?

Thanks
Ted

* Re: custom function to modify Gcc
@ 2001-08-14 19:08 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-08-14 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@northernlight.com> writes:
> I looked through the archives but couldn't find hints on this.  How
> would I make Gnus append the "status" group to the Gcc header, if
> certain conditions (e.g. To: and Subject: regexes match)  are met?

Check out the "Archived Messages" node in the manual; you can include
a function in the value of gnus-message-archivegroup or
gnus-outgoing-message-group to decide how to set Gcc.  You can also
use posting styles to set Gcc; see the "Posting Styles" node.

paul

* Re: custom function to modify Gcc
@ 2001-08-14 20:03   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-14 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tzz

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@northernlight.com> writes:
> > I looked through the archives but couldn't find hints on this.  How
>> would I make Gnus append the "status" group to the Gcc header, if
>> certain conditions (e.g. To: and Subject: regexes match)  are met?
>
> Check out the "Archived Messages" node in the manual; you can include
> a function in the value of gnus-message-archivegroup or
> gnus-outgoing-message-group to decide how to set Gcc.  You can also
> use posting styles to set Gcc; see the "Posting Styles" node.

This, however, takes place when setting up the message buffer.  But
maybe Ted wants to do stuff after typing in the Subject header and
stuff?  So it would be useful to have something in message-send-hook.
Maybe header-action.el (by Holger Schauer, I think) is your friend,
Ted?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: custom function to modify Gcc
@ 2001-08-14 20:22     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2001-08-14 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

>> Check out the "Archived Messages" node in the manual; you can include
>> a function in the value of gnus-message-archivegroup or
>> gnus-outgoing-message-group to decide how to set Gcc.  You can also
>> use posting styles to set Gcc; see the "Posting Styles" node.
>
> This, however, takes place when setting up the message buffer.  But
> maybe Ted wants to do stuff after typing in the Subject header and
> stuff?  So it would be useful to have something in message-send-hook.
> Maybe header-action.el (by Holger Schauer, I think) is your friend,
> Ted?

Kai is right, I want the Gcc header to be rewritten when the message
is being sent.  The archiving functionality of Gnus seems to be on the
preparation side, which is OK for most users.

I got header-action.el from
http://www.coling.uni-freiburg.de/~schauer/resources/emacs/header-action.el.gz

It's not immediately obvious to me how to activate it the way I want.
Should it be something like (after loading the lib and adding the
hook)

(setq header-action-list
      '(("Subject:"
         (".*status report.*"
          (lambda()
           (save-excursion
            (mail-position-on-field "Gcc")
            (insert ",status") ; there already is an archive entry here
            ))))))

I use message.el, so I'm not sure whether mail-position-on-field will
work, or if I'm doing the right thing.

Any help is appreciated.  I am definitely not a Lisp programmer.

@ 2001-08-15 10:04       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-15 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@northernlight.com> writes:

> (setq header-action-list
>       '(("Subject:"
>          (".*status report.*"
>           (lambda()
>            (save-excursion
>             (mail-position-on-field "Gcc")
>             (insert ",status") ; there already is an archive entry here
>             ))))))

I don't know anything about header-action, but the above code looks
okay, especially the mail-position-on-field part.

But shouldn't you include the server name in the group name, as in
"nnfolder:status" rather than just "status"?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory