* to-address and F and a?
@ 2001-10-17 20:37 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2001-10-17 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using Gnus 5.8.8. On many of my nnml groups, I've set the
(to-address) in the group properties. I find this very convenient for
standard replies and for creating new mail with 'a'.

But every now and then I get bitten by the fact that 'F' doesn't
follow-up to all the To: and CC:'d users. I imagine this is by design,
but I'd really prefer if 'F' could send to everyone (except myself)
and not just the to-address.

Is there a knob I can twist to get the behavior I desire? Or is there
a different reply-keystroke that I can train my fingers (or remap) to?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | [The internet is] the largest
http://nwalsh.com/            | equivalence class in the reflexive
                              | transitive symmetric closure of the
                              | relationship 'can be reached by an IP
                              | packet from.'--Seth Breidbart

* Re: to-address and F and a?
@ 2001-10-17 20:50 ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2001-10-17 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> But every now and then I get bitten by the fact that 'F' doesn't
> follow-up to all the To: and CC:'d users. I imagine this is by design,
> but I'd really prefer if 'F' could send to everyone (except myself)
> and not just the to-address.
>
> Is there a knob I can twist to get the behavior I desire? Or is there
> a different reply-keystroke that I can train my fingers (or remap) to?

S w

--
Nevin

* Re: to-address and F and a?
@ 2001-10-18  7:14 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-18  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> I'm using Gnus 5.8.8. On many of my nnml groups, I've set the
> (to-address) in the group properties. I find this very convenient for
> standard replies and for creating new mail with 'a'.

For `a', maybe to-list is better?  But then, `F' always sends a Cc to
the author.  But OTOH, the author can turn off receiving Cc's by
putting a Mail-Followups-To header in the message.

kai
--
GNU/Linux provides a nice `poweroff' command, but where is `poweron'?

* Re: to-address and F and a?
@ 2001-10-18 18:13   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-18 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
>
>> I'm using Gnus 5.8.8. On many of my nnml groups, I've set the
>> (to-address) in the group properties. I find this very convenient for
>> standard replies and for creating new mail with 'a'.
>
> For `a', maybe to-list is better?  But then, `F' always sends a Cc to
> the author.

On the `F' comment: Not when (to-address) is specified.

> . . . . . . . . . But OTOH, the author can turn off receiving Cc's by
> putting a Mail-Followups-To header in the message.

One safe guard I use to avoid sending to author when (to-address) is
not set is to set "(setq message-generate-headers-first t )" so at
least I get a shot at seeing an unintended Cc or other header while
still in the composition buffer.

You (OP) seem to want the reverse effect, but maybe seeing the headers
while still in composition buffer will help you too.

* Re: to-address and F and a?
@ 2001-10-18 21:11   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2001-10-18 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

An obvious follow-up question is, what's the best hook for filtering
CC:'d addresses? If I type F, I get:

  To: Someone@Somewhere.com
  CC: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>, SomeoneElse@Somewhere.com, etc@etc.com

I'd like to automatically discard "me" from the CC's. (And it's probably
not a simple as discarding a single address, so I'm hoping there's a
hook that can look at the list (and that the code will do the right thing
if the list comes back from the hook empty)).

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | 'Heartless Cynics,' the young men
http://nwalsh.com/            | shout, / Blind to the world of Fact
                              | without; / 'Silly Dreamers,' the old
                              | men grin / Deaf to the world of Purpose
                              | within.--W. H. Auden

* Re: to-address and F and a?
@ 2001-10-18 21:20     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-10-18 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
>   To: Someone@Somewhere.com
>   CC: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>, SomeoneElse@Somewhere.com, etc@etc.com
>
> I'd like to automatically discard "me" from the CC's.

C-h v message-dont-reply-to-names

> (and that the code will do the right thing if the list comes back
> from the hook empty)

The code would be message-get-reply-headers.  (I'm working on a patch
right now to straighten out the twisted logic.)

paul

* Re: to-address and F and a?
@ 2001-10-19  9:07     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-19  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> I'd like to automatically discard "me" from the CC's.

See the variable gnus-ignored-from-addresses.

kai
--
GNU/Linux provides a nice `poweroff' command, but where is `poweron'?