* Oort Gnus = 5.09001?
@ 2000-12-20 12:53 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-20 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Judging by the previous Gnus releases, I think Oort Gnus should be
Gnus 5.10, not 5.9.  5.9 is reserved for the version that's released
with Emacs 21.

Thoughts?  ShengHuo?

kai

* Re: Oort Gnus = 5.09001?
@ 2000-12-20 13:24 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2000-12-20 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Judging by the previous Gnus releases, I think Oort Gnus should be
> Gnus 5.10, not 5.9.  5.9 is reserved for the version that's released
> with Emacs 21.
>
> Thoughts?  ShengHuo?

If ShengHuo is the main maintainer behind the release, I think it
should be numbered 6.0 to mark the the change in maintainership.  Just
like Lars's first release was 5.0

Yes, I know 5.0 was a rewrite and oGnus won't be, but it is not like
we are running out of positive integers for major versions anytime
soon, and 5.0 is a long time ago.

Also, I dislike adding extra digits to the minor version, it ruins the
alphabetical sorting of the tar files.

* Re: Oort Gnus = 5.09001?
@ 2000-12-20 14:08   ` ShengHuo ZHU
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-12-20 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > Judging by the previous Gnus releases, I think Oort Gnus should be
> > Gnus 5.10, not 5.9.  5.9 is reserved for the version that's released
> > with Emacs 21.
> >
> > Thoughts?  ShengHuo?
>
> If ShengHuo is the main maintainer behind the release, I think it
> should be numbered 6.0 to mark the the change in maintainership.  Just
> like Lars's first release was 5.0

It is not 5.8.8 because 5.8.8 is no longer suitable for the current
Gnus development code and it is confusing when 5.9 is active.  It is
not 5.10, because 5.10 is for the beta releases.  It is not 6.0,
because Lars is still the main maintainer. I just do it when Lars is
busy.

> Also, I dislike adding extra digits to the minor version, it ruins
> the alphabetical sorting of the tar files.

PGnus used extra digits. If you search for
<rjln8c8ug5.fsf@feller.dina.kvl.dk> in gnus.ding group, you will find
the user-agent was Gnus/5.070098 (Pterodactyl Gnus v0.98).

ShengHuo

* Re: Oort Gnus = 5.09001?
@ 2000-12-20 14:32     ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2000-12-20 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> It is not 5.8.8 because 5.8.8 is no longer suitable for the current
> Gnus development code and it is confusing when 5.9 is active.

Well... take a look at my headers, and tell me that I shouldn't be
confused why none of the stuff that you're talking about works in my
version?

Maybe the Emacs team should stop using 5.9, but certainly someone
should.

A little experience often upsets a lot of theory.

* Re: Oort Gnus = 5.09001?
@ 2000-12-20 14:35     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2000-12-20 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> It is not 5.10, because 5.10 is for the beta releases.

Well, I meant the version for the beta releases.  For the alpha
release, Oort Gnus v0.01 is fine.

I don't really care about the continuum version number, as long as it
is monotonically increasing.

* Re: Oort Gnus = 5.09001?
@ 2000-12-20 14:44       ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2000-12-20 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> Well... take a look at my headers, and tell me that I shouldn't be
> confused why none of the stuff that you're talking about works in my
> version?

Your version is 0.000001 out of date if you compare with the version
in ShengHuo's header.

* Re: Oort Gnus = 5.09001?
@ 2000-12-20 15:05     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-20 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 20 Dec 2000, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:

> PGnus used extra digits. If you search for
> <rjln8c8ug5.fsf@feller.dina.kvl.dk> in gnus.ding group, you will
> find the user-agent was Gnus/5.070098 (Pterodactyl Gnus v0.98).

Oh, pgnus did it the same way.  Then I'm sorry for my mistake.  Thanks
for setting me straight!

kai

* Re: Oort Gnus = 5.09001?
@ 2000-12-25 11:57       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-12-25 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>> It is not 5.10, because 5.10 is for the beta releases.

> Well, I meant the version for the beta releases.  For the alpha
> release, Oort Gnus v0.01 is fine.

Does this mean Oort is run from a different CVS archive, that is later
merged into the main one?  Or will "ognus" only appear on the
snapshots?

* Re: Oort Gnus = 5.09001?
@ 2000-12-29  6:09         ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-12-29  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> > ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
> >> It is not 5.10, because 5.10 is for the beta releases.
>
> > Well, I meant the version for the beta releases.  For the alpha
> > release, Oort Gnus v0.01 is fine.
>
> Does this mean Oort is run from a different CVS archive, that is later
> merged into the main one?  Or will "ognus" only appear on the
> snapshots?

Ognus is the main chunk of the Gnus CVS repository and is appearing on
the snapshots(I haven't checked it).

ShengHuo