* List active file of a foreign news server
@ 1999-11-08 16:52 Rene Matteau
From: Rene Matteau @ 1999-11-08 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

The A A command gets that active file of the main news
server. However, I am following newsgroups from 3 different news
servers; how do I get the active files for the other 2?

I also have

(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'ask-server)

Does this check for new newsgroup on foreign news servers? I am not
convinced that it does...

--
Rene

* Re: List active file of a foreign news server
@ 1999-11-09 10:26 ` Matt Swift
From: Matt Swift @ 1999-11-09 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>"R" == Rene Matteau <matteau@ca.ibm.com> writes:

    R> Hi, The A A command gets that active file of the main news
    R> server. However, I am following newsgroups from 3 different
    R> news servers; how do I get the active files for the other 2?

One way is to go to the Server buffer (^ from Group buffer), press
return on the server.  This works for me for nntp+sunsite.auc.dk (this
group's server).

I created this server by doing `G m' in the Group buffer.  There are
three ways (at least) to get a non-primary nntp news server into Gnus:
`G m' from Group buffer, `a' from Server buffer, and defining
gnus-secondary-select methods.  Does anyone care to explain the
difference?

* Re: List active file of a foreign news server
@ 1999-11-09 11:24   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-09 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Swift <swift@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> I created this server by doing `G m' in the Group buffer.  There are
> three ways (at least) to get a non-primary nntp news server into Gnus:
> `G m' from Group buffer, `a' from Server buffer, and defining
> gnus-secondary-select methods.  Does anyone care to explain the
> difference?

I think the first two create foreign servers whereas the last one
creates a secondary server.  I'm not sure what's the difference
between a foreign and a secondary server, other than:

  - you can change gnus-secondary-select-methods to change the
    parameters of a secondary server, but not so for a foreign server
  - you can modify foreign servers but not secondary servers in the
    server buffer

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* Re: List active file of a foreign news server
@ 1999-11-10  2:44   ` Rene Matteau
From: Rene Matteau @ 1999-11-10  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt,

Thanks for the pointer. I was able to see the active list of a foreign
server. However, in the Gnus Browse Server buffer that is brought up,
the leftmost mark is "K"; does it stand for Killed? All the newsgroups
have the same mark; even the ones that are currently subscribed. Is it normal?

--

@ 1999-11-10 15:12     ` Matt Swift
From: Matt Swift @ 1999-11-10 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>"R" == Rene Matteau <matteau@ca.ibm.com> writes:

    R> Matt, Thanks for the pointer. I was able to see the active list
    R> of a foreign server. However, in the Gnus Browse Server buffer
    R> that is brought up, the leftmost mark is "K"; does it stand for
    R> Killed? All the newsgroups have the same mark; even the ones
    R> that are currently subscribed. Is it normal?

I believe that is intended behavior, though I haven't tried to
understand why.