* gnus-summary-reply-with-original and Cc/To
@ 1999-05-25  9:15 Turbo Fredriksson
From: Turbo Fredriksson @ 1999-05-25  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=NIL, Size: 909 bytes --]

When I do a reply to a message with pgnus 0.84, I would like
to have the To and Cc lines rewritten slightly...

Have the To point to the mailinglist (or newsgroup) set in the
Group buffer with 'G p' (to-list/to-address), and the Cc with
the original To address AND any original Cc.

Previously I had my own function that did this (it still work)
but it was very crude, and sometimes added the originator
address two or three times (!)

--
 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^    / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  selective about who its friends are

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 347 bytes --]

* Re: gnus-summary-reply-with-original and Cc/To
@ 1999-05-25  9:57 ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-05-25  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@tripnet.se> writes:

  > Have the To point to the mailinglist (or newsgroup) set in the
  > Group buffer with 'G p' (to-list/to-address), and the Cc with
  > the original To address AND any original Cc.

Isn't this the default behavior when you do a followup without to-list
and to-address?

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]

* Re: gnus-summary-reply-with-original and Cc/To
@ 1999-05-25 11:28   ` Turbo Fredriksson
From: Turbo Fredriksson @ 1999-05-25 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kai.Grossjohann

    Kai> Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@tripnet.se> writes:
    >> Have the To point to the mailinglist (or newsgroup) set in the
    >> Group buffer with 'G p' (to-list/to-address), and the Cc with
    >> the original To address AND any original Cc.

    Kai> Isn't this the default behavior when you do a followup
    Kai> without to-list and to-address?

Doesn't seem so... Removed the to-list for this group (other.ding-devel)
and tried to reply to your mail. Only your name ended up in the header
with gnus-summary-reply-with-original.

--
 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^    / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  selective about who its friends are
         / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /   Debian Certified Linux Developer
  _ /// / /__| | | | | |_| |>  <  Turbo Fredriksson   turbo@tripnet.se
  \\\/  \____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\ Gothenburg/Sweden
--
Honduras bomb AK-47 genetic munitions terrorist Peking Ft. Meade jihad
Delta Force South Africa SDI Treasury SEAL Team 6 fissionable

* Re: gnus-summary-reply-with-original and Cc/To
@ 1999-05-25 11:37     ` Lee Willis
From: Lee Willis @ 1999-05-25 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@tripnet.se> writes:

>     Kai> Isn't this the default behavior when you do a followup
>     Kai> without to-list and to-address?
>
> Doesn't seem so... Removed the to-list for this group (other.ding-devel)
> and tried to reply to your mail. Only your name ended up in the header
> with gnus-summary-reply-with-original.

That's beacuse you did a reply not a followup as Kai suggested.
Followup does what you require (F instead of R, f instead of r)

gnus-summary-followup-with-original etc. etc.

HTH
Lee.
--
I was doing object-oriented assembly at 1 year old ...
For some reason my mom insists on calling it "Playing with blocks"

* Re: gnus-summary-reply-with-original and Cc/To
@ 1999-05-25 11:42       ` Turbo Fredriksson
From: Turbo Fredriksson @ 1999-05-25 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=NIL, Size: 1314 bytes --]

    Lee> Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@tripnet.se> writes:
    Kai> Isn't this the default behavior when you do a followup
    Kai> without to-list and to-address?
    >>  Doesn't seem so... Removed the to-list for this group
    >> (other.ding-devel) and tried to reply to your mail. Only your
    >> name ended up in the header with
    >> gnus-summary-reply-with-original.

    Lee> That's beacuse you did a reply not a followup as Kai
    Lee> suggested.  Followup does what you require (F instead of R, f
    Lee> instead of r)

He! Cool, I didn't know this, it work's perfectly!

(Oki, oki... It's in the manual probably, but I hate manuals,
and i haven't read it since i started out with GNUS a couple
of years ago :)

Now I can remove that crude hack...

--
 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^    / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  selective about who its friends are
         / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /   Debian Certified Linux Developer
  _ /// / /__| | | | | |_| |>  <  Turbo Fredriksson   turbo@tripnet.se
  \\\/  \____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\ Gothenburg/Sweden
--
South Africa fissionable security $400 million in gold bullion World
Trade Center radar bomb jihad Panama CIA class struggle kibo KGB

@ 1999-05-25 12:11     ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-05-25 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@tripnet.se> writes:

  > Doesn't seem so... Removed the to-list for this group (other.ding-devel)
  > and tried to reply to your mail. Only your name ended up in the header
  > with gnus-summary-reply-with-original.

I said followup, not reply.

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]

* The Gnus manual (was: gnus-summary-reply-with-original and Cc/To)
@ 1999-05-25 12:58         ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1999-05-25 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Turbo> (Oki, oki... It's in the manual probably, but I hate manuals,
 Turbo> and i haven't read it since i started out with GNUS a couple
 Turbo> of years ago :)

You're missing something. Thanks to Lars's wonderful style it's quite
a good read. It's actually the most entertaining manual I know.

Now for some critique: I know of no material that can be fully
recommended to Gnus-newbies (i.e. people that mastered other
newsreaders, but want to try/switch to Gnus) [1]. The manual is to
baroque for this occassion - newbies just want to post a followup, not
puzzle about the 8 different ways to do it presented in `Summary Post
Commands', for example.

	Robbe

[1] I have tried to write something like that, but it's in german
(local students being the main target audience). If somebody who
understands german feels the pressing need to proofread against
glaring errors: <URL:http://www.usenet.at/reader/gnus.html>

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>