* "incorrect" read order
@ 1998-03-19 20:33 David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1998-03-19 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: david

There is one thing that has bothered me for months when using topics
(which is totally great :-) - the group read order. Now "n" and "p"
(when no unread in a group) moves you to the next/prev group,
priority-wise. This means that I don't read the groups in topic-order
(which in my case means weird order). This is how I set up my mail
groups:
				     level
[Topic 1]	  most important
  Group 1.1				1
  Group 1.2				2
  Group 1.n				3
[Topic 2]
  Group 2.1				1
  Group 2.2				2
[Topic n]	  less important

Ie, I have the topics sorted on importance, most important first. Then
I sort the groups in the topics in with level 1 for important, level 2
for less important and level 3 for others.

I would like the read order to be 1.1, 1.2, 1.n, 2.1, 2.2 etc and not
1.1, 2.1 ...

Is this possible to fix? Impossible?

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
Bus error -- driver executed.

* Re: "incorrect" read order
@ 1998-03-20 11:28 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-03-20 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  David> I would like the read order to be 1.1, 1.2, 1.n, 2.1, 2.2 etc
  David> and not 1.1, 2.1 ...

This order is the default if all groups have the same level.  I think.

kai
--
Really cancel?   [OK]  [Cancel]

* Re: "incorrect" read order
@ 1998-03-20 18:44   ` David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1998-03-20 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>   David> I would like the read order to be 1.1, 1.2, 1.n, 2.1, 2.2 etc
>   David> and not 1.1, 2.1 ...
>
> This order is the default if all groups have the same level.  I think.

The thing is that all groups don't have the same level. If they did, I
would get them in alphabetical order, which is not what I want. One
example is:

[Work]		      Level
  work.personal		1
  work.admin		2
  work.misc		2
  work.daemon		3

I want to read them in that order, so I use the level to sort them
correctly (visually). Then I have other topics, which I sort the same
way, but which is less important than [Work].

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
Time is an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space.

* Re: "incorrect" read order
@ 1998-03-20 23:40     ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1998-03-20 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hedbor <david@hedbor.org> writes:

> [Work]		      Level
>   work.personal		1
>   work.admin		2
>   work.misc		2
>   work.daemon		3
>
> I want to read them in that order, so I use the level to sort them
> correctly (visually).

Why don't you just do your visual sorting with C-k and C-y?

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: "incorrect" read order
@ 1998-03-21  0:59       ` David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1998-03-21  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> David Hedbor <david@hedbor.org> writes:
>
> > [Work]		      Level
> >   work.personal		1
> >   work.admin		2
> >   work.misc		2
> >   work.daemon		3
> >
> > I want to read them in that order, so I use the level to sort them
> > correctly (visually).
>
> Why don't you just do your visual sorting with C-k and C-y?

Well, it turns out that simply setting gnus-keep-same-level to nil
solved the problem. Sorry for bothering you. :-)

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
Real programmers don't write in BASIC.  Actually, no programmers write in

* Re: "incorrect" read order
@ 1998-03-21 16:13     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-03-21 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  David> The thing is that all groups don't have the same level. If
  David> they did, I would get them in alphabetical order, which is
  David> not what I want. One example is:

Oh, you're sorting your groups.  Why do you do that?  Just get them in
the right order, then set all levels the same and reading will work
fine.  I'm assuming that you don't get ten new groups per day so
inserting them at the right place manually shouldn't be too much work.

kai
--
Really cancel?   [OK]  [Cancel]