* Menubar flashing while paging articles
@ 2000-05-19  4:14 Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 2000-05-19  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

With the latest CVS gnus, my Emacs menubar flashes every time I press
RET or SPC to page an article (it looks like an item is deleted from
it and another is added, but it happens so quickly that I can't tell
for sure).  Is anyone else seeing this?

I'm using gnus 5.8.7 and Emacs 20.4.1.

-Emerick

* Re: Menubar flashing while paging articles
@ 2000-05-19  7:18 ` Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 2000-05-19  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:

> With the latest CVS gnus, my Emacs menubar flashes every time I press
> RET or SPC to page an article (it looks like an item is deleted from
> it and another is added, but it happens so quickly that I can't tell
> for sure).  Is anyone else seeing this?

Yes. Furthermore the cursor is dancing in the *Article* buffer on
scrolling.

Cheers,
  Ray
--
Raymond Scholz -*- rscholz@tzi.de -*- http://www.tzi.de/~rscholz/
FB3 Informatik, Universitaet Bremen -*- PGP key available via WWW

* Re: Menubar flashing while paging articles
@ 2000-05-19 10:36 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-19 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:

> With the latest CVS gnus, my Emacs menubar flashes every time I press
> RET or SPC to page an article (it looks like an item is deleted from
> it and another is added, but it happens so quickly that I can't tell
> for sure).

You might wish to look in the *Messages* buffer for the messages.

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: Menubar flashing while paging articles
@ 2000-05-19 15:13   ` Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 2000-05-19 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann writes:

: Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:
:: With the latest CVS gnus, my Emacs menubar flashes every time I press
:: RET or SPC to page an article (it looks like an item is deleted from
:: it and another is added, but it happens so quickly that I can't tell
:: for sure).

: You might wish to look in the *Messages* buffer for the messages.

Kai, I took a look in the *Messages* buffer, but it doesn't appear to
say anything about the menubar changing.  I did notice that it appears
that the words "Treatment" and "Commands" are quickly added and
removed from the menubar every time I press SPC/RET in an article,
which is causing the "flashing."

I also see this behavior when I don't use my .gnus.el file, so I don't
think it's anything I've done in my setup.  Hrm...

-Emerick
Emerick Rogul       /\/  "i've said many, many, many unkind things about
emerick@cs.bu.edu   /\/   philadelphia, and i meant every one of them."
----------------------------------------------------------- david lynch

* Re: Menubar flashing while paging articles
@ 2000-05-19 15:16   ` Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 2000-05-19 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You might wish to look in the *Messages* buffer for the messages.

I can't see any indications there. I think it's the Misc menu that
disappears temporarily.

Cheers,
  Ray
--
Raymond Scholz -*- rscholz@tzi.de -*- http://www.tzi.de/~rscholz/
FB 3 Informatik, Universität Bremen -*- PGP key available via WWW

* Re: Menubar flashing while paging articles
@ 2000-05-19 15:32     ` Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 2000-05-19 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raymond Scholz writes:

: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
:: You might wish to look in the *Messages* buffer for the messages.

: I can't see any indications there. I think it's the Misc menu that
: disappears temporarily.

Yes, "Misc" disappears and "Treatment" and "Commands" are added.  Then
it quickly goes back to what it was.

@ 2000-05-19 16:40     ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 2000-05-19 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:

> Kai Großjohann writes:
>
> : Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:
> :: With the latest CVS gnus, my Emacs menubar flashes every time I press
> :: RET or SPC to page an article (it looks like an item is deleted from
> :: it and another is added, but it happens so quickly that I can't tell
> :: for sure).
>
> : You might wish to look in the *Messages* buffer for the messages.
>
> Kai, I took a look in the *Messages* buffer, but it doesn't appear to
> say anything about the menubar changing.  I did notice that it appears
> that the words "Treatment" and "Commands" are quickly added and
> removed from the menubar every time I press SPC/RET in an article,
> which is causing the "flashing."
>
> I also see this behavior when I don't use my .gnus.el file, so I don't
> think it's anything I've done in my setup.  Hrm...

That sounds suspiciously like you are seeing the '*Article*' buffer menubar
temporarily.  Is Gnus jumping over to the article buffer without a
save-window-excursion or something odd like that?

-Bill P.

* Re: Menubar flashing while paging articles
@ 2000-05-19 16:55       ` Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 2000-05-19 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

William M Perry writes:

: Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:
:: Kai, I took a look in the *Messages* buffer, but it doesn't appear to
:: say anything about the menubar changing.  I did notice that it appears
:: that the words "Treatment" and "Commands" are quickly added and
:: removed from the menubar every time I press SPC/RET in an article,
:: which is causing the "flashing."
::
:: I also see this behavior when I don't use my .gnus.el file, so I don't
:: think it's anything I've done in my setup.  Hrm...

: That sounds suspiciously like you are seeing the '*Article*' buffer menubar
: temporarily.  Is Gnus jumping over to the article buffer without a
: save-window-excursion or something odd like that?

It's quite possible; there does seem to be some flashing in the
*Article* buffer, but it's happening too quickly for me to say for
certain.

-Emerick
  "razzle, dazzle, drazzle, drone, time for this one to come home,
   razzle, dazzle, drazzle, dry, time for this one to come alive."
--- Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> ---------- 'hold my life', the mats

* Re: Menubar flashing while paging articles
@ 2000-05-20  0:28     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-20  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:

> Kai, I took a look in the *Messages* buffer, but it doesn't appear to
> say anything about the menubar changing.

Argh.  I now notice you said _menubar_, not _minibuffer_.  Arf.  How
could I have overlooked that?  Well, it happened.

kai
--

@ 2000-05-20  0:30       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-20  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:

> Yes, "Misc" disappears and "Treatment" and "Commands" are added.  Then
> it quickly goes back to what it was.

Use C-x o to go to the *Article* buffer and you will see `Treatment'
and `Commands'.  So I think Bill P is right -- Gnus is temporarily
changing to the article buffer without protecting from the flashing.

kai
--

@ 2000-05-20  2:37         ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 2000-05-20  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emerick Rogul, ding

> Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:
>
> > Yes, "Misc" disappears and "Treatment" and "Commands" are added.  Then
> > it quickly goes back to what it was.
>
> Use C-x o to go to the *Article* buffer and you will see `Treatment'
> and `Commands'.  So I think Bill P is right -- Gnus is temporarily
> changing to the article buffer without protecting from the flashing.

It was driving me nuts because I had a bug in XEmacs/GTK for a while where
changing the menubar a lot led to the frame getting microscopically
smaller, but with gnus it added up REAL quick. :)  The menubar updates too
quickly on this thing to have seen that it was getting more items, but I do
definitely see a flicker as it is drawn/erased/drawn.

-Bill P.