* Different values of mail-sources for different nnml backends?
@ 1999-07-14 14:44 Paul Stodghill
From: Paul Stodghill @ 1999-07-14 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to have different values of `mail-sources' associated with
different nnml backends?

Here is my scenario:

I use two different POP mail drops, popsrv.cs.cornell.edu for personal mail
and postoffice.mail.cornell.edu for mailing lists. I do this so that I can
have a biff running on popsrv and not be bothered by all of the list
messages.

Now, what I would like to do is have (nnml "") get its new mail from popsrv
and (nnml "lists") get its new mail from postoffice. This way I can dial in
and download my personal messages without downloading the list message.

I tried creating two such servers and adding `mail-sources' with the
appropriate values to the server parameters of each, and setting the global
value of `mail-sources' to nil . It didn't work. Neither server got any new
mail. It appears that the global value of `mail-sources' was taking effect,
and the server parameters weren't.

Is it possible to make this work? Is there a simpler way to get the same
result?

Thanks!

--
Paul Stodghill <stodghil@cs.cornell.edu>
Dept. of Computer Science, Upson Hall, Ithaca, NY  14853

* Re: Different values of mail-sources for different nnml backends?
@ 1999-07-14 15:41 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-07-14 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Stodghill <stodghil@CS.Cornell.EDU> writes:

> Now, what I would like to do is have (nnml "") get its new mail from popsrv
> and (nnml "lists") get its new mail from postoffice. This way I can dial in
> and download my personal messages without downloading the list message.

This sounds kinda difficult, but you could run fetchmail instead.
Fetchmail can write its mail to some file, and you could configure
fetchmail to write stuff from popsrv into one file and mail from
postoffice into another.  Then you put both files in mail-sources and
Bob's your uncle: you get to decide via fetchmail which mail to fetch
and Gnus reads whatever you have fetched.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: Different values of mail-sources for different nnml backends?
@ 1999-07-15 15:42 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-07-15 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

PS> Is it possible to have different values of `mail-sources' associated with
PS> different nnml backends?

Yes.  Well, not exactly....

I assume you keep all your mail (once it arrives) in the same place?  I
have just started doing this.  The simplest thing is to have a different
mail-sources variable at your different locations.  You needn't really have
two different nnml servers.

Here is what I do:
On my slow connection (where I only want to read personal mail), I just
want to read from my personal address.
(setq mail-sources '((pop :server "chevax.ecs.umass.edu"
			  :user "jvinson"
			  )
		     )

On my faster connection, I simply have both
(setq mail-sources '((pop :server "chevax.ecs.umass.edu"
			  :user "jvinson"
			  )
		     (pop :server "unagi.cis.upenn.edu"
			  :user "vinson"
			  )
		     )

In either situation, all of the nnml groups appear as accessible, it just
that from home, I don't get anything from my UPenn address (where I receive
mailing list mail).

The info node Getting Mail under Select Methods gives a more detail about
all the possibilities for mail-sources.

What I want to try is making my primary select-method be nnml.  And make
nntp a secondary method.  I would like to be able to ONLY read mail while
ignoring everything else.  Will that completely hose my current settings?
I currently do this with C-u 2 gnus-group-get-new-news.  My mail groups
are at level 1 or 2.

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>
Zippy: Being a BALD HERO is almost as FESTIVE as a TATTOOED KNOCKWURST.