* Confusion w.r.t. header cache
@ 2002-06-19  8:49 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-06-19  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

It used to be that nnimap had a NOV cache.  Now it seems that
nnimap-nov-is-evil really wants to be t (even if I have (setq
nnimap-nov-is-evil nil) in my ~/.gnus).  Maybe this is because we now
have the Agent which is supposed to do header caching.

But when I enter an nnimap group, I always see the message about
fetching headers and the rotating stick.

Is the Agent supposed to cache the headers?  Then why doesn't that
happen for me?  (Ie, how do I start debugging?)

kai
--
People mountain, people sea, today no see, tomorrow see.  (from Chinese)

* Re: Confusion w.r.t. header cache
@ 2002-06-19  9:26 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-06-19  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It used to be that nnimap had a NOV cache.  Now it seems that
> nnimap-nov-is-evil really wants to be t (even if I have (setq
> nnimap-nov-is-evil nil) in my ~/.gnus).  Maybe this is because we now
> have the Agent which is supposed to do header caching.
>
> But when I enter an nnimap group, I always see the message about
> fetching headers and the rotating stick.
>
> Is the Agent supposed to cache the headers?  Then why doesn't that
> happen for me?  (Ie, how do I start debugging?)

Is the server agentized?

nnimap-nov-is-evil is set to the value of gnus-agent now, I guess it
really should also check if the nnimap server is agentized, since that
is necessary as well.

nnimap-nov-is-evil is a server variable, so setq'ing it won't have any effect.

* Re: Confusion w.r.t. header cache
@ 2002-06-19  9:36   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-06-19  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is the server agentized?

Whoops.  This was indeed the problem.  Agentizing the server lead to
Gnus fetching the data from the agent cache.

Sorry for the line-noise.

kai
--
People mountain, people sea, today no see, tomorrow see.  (from Chinese)