From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann)
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: upgrading help request
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 22:20:20 +0200	[thread overview]

Spencer Marks <smarks@digisolutions.com> writes:

> First, I am upgrading in the hopes of handling attachments better. (I
> am using FSF emacs, would I have better look with xemacs? Note: if
> this is a "hot" topic, I didn't mean to ignite anything. Non baised
> pro and cons would be wlecome though).

As far as I can tell, MIME support in Gnus 5.8 works equally well in
both Emacsen.  Well, XEmacs can display images and Emacs 20 can't, so
that makes a bit of a difference.

> I downloaded the source in gnus.tar.gz and compiled it. I also noticed
> other archives pgnus and pspackages and etc.tar.gz. From reading the
> readmes, it looks pgnus and and gnus are the same thing with different
> version numbers? That is periodically pgnus gets rolled in gnus. Is
> this correct? If not, which do people recommend I use? I couldn't
> determine what etc or pspackage where for.

No, officially released Gnus versions are numbered; the development
versions are named.  It all started with `(ding) Gnus' which became
Gnus 5.0, then there was September Gnus, Red Gnus, Quassia Gnus,
and now Pterodactyl Gnus which became 5.8.  After 5.8, there will be
Oort Gnus.

> Next, I installed 5.8.7 by just by adding
>
> (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/gnus-sandbox/gnus-5.8.7/lisp") load-path))
>
> (setq Info-default-directory-list
>         (cons "~/gnus-sandbox/gnus-5.8.7/texi" Info-default-directory-list))
>
> That seemed to do the the trick.

Right.

> However, my existing .gnus file didn't seem to work. I narrowed the
> problem down to this line:
>
> (setq nnmail-spool-file 'procmail)
>
> I really did spend some time reseaching this issue, but the best I
> could come up with was the fact that things have changed and I am not
> the only one stuck.

Gnus comes with a file GNUS-NEWS or similar, which describes this.
The very first entry describes your problem.  Does this help?

> The entry in the FAQ didn't help me enough to get straighted out.

I'm hoping that the GNUS-NEWS file is sufficiently detailed, and that
the documentation of the new variable mail-sources also helps.  If
this isn't sufficient, please post again.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.