From: Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>
Cc: ding@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: Should archive server add Message-IDs to the cache?
Date: 18 Mar 1997 13:55:23 +0100	[thread overview]

  Hans> In one of the recent Gnus versions Lars changed caching of
  Hans> Message-IDs. As a side effect, the archive server (which is
  Hans> nnfolder based in my setup) now also adds Message-IDs to the
  Hans> ID cache.

I don't use archive servers, but I feel that the copy that's *not* in
the archive server should be considered the "original" and that the
copy in the archive server should be considered the "duplicate".  This
would mean that you won't be surprised about articles disappearing.

OTOH, though, deleting messages in the archive server isn't really
what you want, either, since then it wouldn't be an archive any
longer.  I'm not sure what setting nnmail-treat-duplicates to delete
means; does it mean marking as "read" or does it mean delete from the
face of the earth, as in "G DEL"?  Marking the articles as read
wouldn't be too bad, presumably.

Just my personal opinion,
kai
--
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)