* Re: Decoding QP stuff...
       [not found] <Pine.WNT.3.95.970214075040.168A-100000@kirk.nca.asu.edu>
@ 1997-02-15  8:53 ` visigoth
From: visigoth @ 1997-02-15  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"C. R. Oldham" <cro@nca.asu.edu> writes:
> I'm curious to know why you switched back... [ to emacs from xemacs ]

A few reasons.  First, I'm the gnu-emacs maintainer here at the CMU
SCS, and I figured I should really be using what I'm attempting to
support.  So, I compiled up the latest version and tried it out.
Well, I'd forgotten just how much faster Emacs is than XEmacs--on both
X and non X stuff.  So, I completely switched back.  The main things I
miss are the better font support in XEmacs (multiple height fonts in
one window), and more importantly, the ability to attach to a
currently running Emacs session.

I use a local communication tool that displays messages in an emacs
buffer, and I like to leave this tool running when I'm gone.  It's
tremendously useful to be able to attach to the emacs with this in it
when I'm home, so I can see what's been going on while I was away.
I'm getting used to not being able to do that.

Still--FSF is a great deal faster.  And I like that.

John.

* Re: Decoding QP stuff...
@ 1997-02-16  3:07   ` Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1997-02-16  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> one window), and more importantly, the ability to attach to a
> currently running Emacs session.

Is this gnuclient/gnuserver, or something else? If it's gnuclient, you
can run that under emacs19, I'm pretty sure...  If it's something
else, what's it called, so I can look for it in the xemacs docs?  (I
run emacs on machines where I need to get work done, but xemacs on
machines where I want pretty colors in tty mode. It's still visibly
slow in tty mode though...)

* Re: Decoding QP stuff...
@ 1997-02-16 15:39   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-02-16 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  John> I use a local communication tool that displays messages in an
  John> emacs buffer, and I like to leave this tool running when I'm
  John> gone.  It's tremendously useful to be able to attach to the
  John> emacs with this in it when I'm home, so I can see what's been
  John> going on while I was away.  I'm getting used to not being able
  John> to do that.

Get gnuserv from ftp.wellfleet.com:/netman/psmith.  You can use it to
have a running Emacs execute arbitrary ELisp stuff.
make-frame-on-display is an especially interesting piece of ELisp
stuff for you it would seem :-)

kai
--
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing

* Re: Decoding QP stuff...
@ 1997-02-16 22:10           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-16 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Gnus could use See-Also: for the remaining articles.

Yup.  This is on the todo list.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Decoding QP stuff...
@ 1997-02-16 13:31         ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-02-16 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

visigoth@naiad.fac.cs.cmu.edu writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
>
> > That would horribly break threading.
>
> Oh, well.  The ability to have one article be a member of two threads
> is theoretically elegant, but as with most such things, won't be
> happening Any Time Soon.

Gnus could use See-Also: for the remaining articles.

Defined in Son-of-RFC 1036.

* Re: Decoding QP stuff...
@ 1997-02-16 12:27       ` visigoth
From: visigoth @ 1997-02-16 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> That would horribly break threading.

Oh, well.  The ability to have one article be a member of two threads
is theoretically elegant, but as with most such things, won't be
happening Any Time Soon.

A theoretical question: so, what if someone -did- construct such a
references header?  How would Gnus react?

> (setq gnus-parse-headers-hook (list 'gnus-decode-rfc1522))
> This is the default.

It sure is.  I discovered the problem after poking around in the
sources for a while.  I have a habit of starting up Gnus w/o high
ascii (glyphs over 126) turned on--then turn it on when I come across
a place I need it.  I've been too lazy to add this to my .emacs like I
should.  Well, the gnus-summary-display-table gets built when Gnus
starts up, so even though I called (standard-display-european), it
leaves the ?'s in the summary buffer.

I have my fix.

John.

* Re: Decoding QP stuff...
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-16  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-02-15  8:49   ` visigoth
From: visigoth @ 1997-02-15  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
> I hope I guessed right,

Yup.  That decodes the quoted printable stuff.  Another question

@ 1997-02-14  9:42 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-14  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-02-14  8:53 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-02-14  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  visigoth> Can anybody point me at a hook to add/variable to frob to
  visigoth> make this work again?

; untested
(add-hook 'gnus-article-display-hook 'gnus-article-de-quoted-unreadable)

I hope I guessed right,
kai
--
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing

* Decoding QP stuff...
@ 1997-02-13 22:24 visigoth
From: visigoth @ 1997-02-13 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

So--I recently switched back to using FSF Gnu-Emacs from using Xemacs.
Now--I've liked being able to read quoted-printable stuff in messages
that were sent, and I figure out the call I needed to do in Gnu-Emacs
to get high-ascii to be displayed in X.  Unfortunately, whatever
mechanism was turning QP into high ascii appears to not be running now.

Can anybody point me at a hook to add/variable to frob to make this
work again?

Thanks,
John.