* envelope sender, qmail
@ 2002-09-17 15:32 clemens fischer
From: clemens fischer @ 2002-09-17 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

i'm still not sure why gnus can't set the envelope sender in the
posting styles, or why setting Return-Path doesn't make qmail-inject
use its value for the sender.

my current problem is with originating a message, like starting a new
thread or subscribing to a mailinglist that looks at the envelope.
not every list-software allows setting the address one wants like
ezmlm by using special syntax in the request-address, and some lists
allow only subscribers by checking the envelope.

i have now:

;;; setting up envelope sender
(defun cf-message-sender-hook ()
   (let ((from (or (cadr (mail-extract-address-components
                           (message-fetch-field "from")))
                   user-mail-address)))
        (setq message-qmail-inject-args (list "-h" "-f" from))))

(add-hook 'message-send-mail-hook ; perhaps message-send-hook?
          'cf-message-sender-hook)

now i wonder if this isn't the rather clumsy variant, but at least it
works.

btw, i think i never really answered kai's hint to use group-local
variables for this kind of thing: i'm collecting all messages into one
central inbox to read them, and only afterwards decide where to put
them, because usually i just make notes, so many list messages finally
get deleted.  so i don't have groups for every list i'm subscibed to.

--
clemens

* Re: envelope sender, qmail
@ 2002-09-17 16:54 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-09-17 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

clemens fischer <ino@despammed.com> wrote:
> i'm still not sure why gnus can't set the envelope sender in the
> posting styles, or why setting Return-Path doesn't make qmail-inject
> use its value for the sender.

You never showed us a configuration that fails; you've only showed us
your workarounds.

> btw, i think i never really answered kai's hint to use group-local
> variables for this kind of thing:

Kai actually said "I think you can set local variables from posting
styles."  But I think he was indeed thinking of group parameters.

paul

* Re: envelope sender, qmail
@ 2002-09-17 17:57   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-17 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Kai actually said "I think you can set local variables from posting
> styles."  But I think he was indeed thinking of group parameters.

Right.  From group parameters, you can set local variables, from
posting styles, it's not possible.

I'm surprised.

Thanks for setting me straight.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: envelope sender, qmail
@ 2002-09-19 21:45   ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-09-19 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> You never showed us a configuration that fails; you've only showed us
> your workarounds.

that should have been evident from context.  i used the address
attribute from the posting style, what else?

> Kai actually said "I think you can set local variables from posting
> styles."  But I think he was indeed thinking of group parameters.

i answered this one, too.  since i don't split mailinglists into
different groups, i cannot set group paramters.

clemens

* Re: envelope sender, qmail
@ 2002-09-20 10:04     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-20 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> writes:

> i answered this one, too.  since i don't split mailinglists into
> different groups, i cannot set group paramters.

Maybe gnus-pers.el or Holger Schauer's header-action.el does
something useful?  Maybe it's a good idea to include one of these
features in Gnus?

kai
--

@ 2002-09-20 16:14     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-09-20 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> wrote:
> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
>> You never showed us a configuration that fails; you've only showed us
>> your workarounds.
>
> that should have been evident from context.

It wasn't, and I refuse to guess at what is trivially easy for you to
tell me.

> i used the address attribute from the posting style, what else?

Now that you have said this, the solution is immediately clear to me.
address is only used for From, AFAIK.  This should work:
("Return-Path" "your@address")

>> Kai actually said "I think you can set local variables from posting
>> styles."  But I think he was indeed thinking of group parameters.
>
> i answered this one, too.

Yes, I know.  I was just clearing up Kai's confusion.

paul

* Re: envelope sender, qmail
@ 2002-09-21  0:33       ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-09-21  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Maybe gnus-pers.el or Holger Schauer's header-action.el does
> something useful?  Maybe it's a good idea to include one of these
> features in Gnus?

those two are good!  and header-action is nice and simple, too, only a
dozen lines or so.  it should be simple to burry it somewhere into the
distribution.

clemens

* Re: envelope sender, qmail
@ 2002-09-21 17:13       ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-09-21 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Now that you have said this, the solution is immediately clear to me.
> address is only used for From, AFAIK.  This should work:
> ("Return-Path" "your@address")

i tried that, because qmail-inject(8) seems to indicate that it should
work, but it did not.  the actual sender remained the one from
`user-mail-address' set in .emacs, which is the same as in the
environment variables $MAILUSER@$MAILHOST.  i carefully checked for
environment variables influencing qmail-inject.  these two are on the
lower end of qmails preference list, so that i could override them in
scripts.

the only thing left to do, short of running strace or a debugger, were
running qmail-inject with `-n', but i'd need to capture its output in
that case.  i don't know how to do this in a life environemnt, and i'm
not that interested in this problem to set `message-qmail-inject-
program' to a script just for testing.

some day somebody will find out :)

clemens