* Using nnimap as my primary select method.
@ 2002-02-18 23:37 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2002-02-18 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm thinking of setting up a special invocation of XEmacs/Gnus with
nnimap as the primary select method.  Before I do this, do any of you
know of any "gotchas" about using nnimap in this way?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Using nnimap as my primary select method.
@ 2002-02-18 23:50 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-02-18 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking of setting up a special invocation of XEmacs/Gnus with
> nnimap as the primary select method.  Before I do this, do any of you
> know of any "gotchas" about using nnimap in this way?

"nnimap:group.name" won't match the group name; "group.name" will.  So
any such existing config stuff will have to be adapted.  If what you
really want is to get rid of your current primary select method, you
could set it to be a dummy.  I wrote a dummy backend for this purpose,
nnnil, available at <URL:http://multivac.cwru.edu./gnus/>.

Should I add this to Gnus?  Maybe with an easier-to-read name, like
"nnempty" or something?

Of course, this is just a workaraound that we can abandon when Gnus no
longer has a notion of a "primary" select method. :)

paul

* Re: Using nnimap as my primary select method.
@ 2002-02-19  1:05   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2002-02-19  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> wrote:
>> I'm thinking of setting up a special invocation of XEmacs/Gnus with
>> nnimap as the primary select method.  Before I do this, do any of you
>> know of any "gotchas" about using nnimap in this way?
>
> "nnimap:group.name" won't match the group name; "group.name" will.  So
> any such existing config stuff will have to be adapted.  If what you
> really want is to get rid of your current primary select method, you
> could set it to be a dummy.  I wrote a dummy backend for this purpose,
> nnnil, available at <URL:http://multivac.cwru.edu./gnus/>.
>
> Should I add this to Gnus?  Maybe with an easier-to-read name, like
> "nnempty" or something?

This worked just fine for my nnimap-only invocation.  Thank you, good
job!  I recommend that you indeed you add this to Gnus.  As for what
to call it, "nnnil" seems fine to me.

--

@ 2002-02-19 12:02   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-19 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Should I add this to Gnus?  Maybe with an easier-to-read name, like
> "nnempty" or something?

I prefer the other name.  I'm just not sure whether it should be
nnnil or nnil.  The latter would go well with nneething.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)