* off topic alert: XEmacs vs Emacs?
@ 1999-07-20 21:34 Kai Großjohann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-07-20 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think quite a few of you have lots of experience with both flavors
of Emacs.  I haven't really used XEmacs for anything, though.

When people ask about the pros and cons of each version, it is easy to
come up with nifty XEmacs features like toolbar buttons, the Motif
scroll bars, tooltips, inline images, the many preconfigured add-on
packages, and stuff.

On the other hand, I see that XEmacs behaves in, err, /unexpected/
ways.  Two anecdotical examples: loading del-bs.el (or similar) does
what one expect, *except* in Lisp Interaction mode.  Hm.  rcp.el
doesn't work together with EFS because EFS expects to be the only
remote-file handling package used (well, the only one which uses file
names beginning with "/foo:").

I get a vague feeling that the many packages included with XEmacs
might not be so well thought-out and thoroughly-tested.  Yet, I'm sure
that I would do injustice to XEmacs if I were to say it is less stable
or less well tested.

Thoughts?

If you feel this discussion is inappropriate in this group, feel free
to say so and I'll go elsewhere.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.