* nnir search string
@ 1998-08-31  8:06 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-08-31  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

This will probably get lost in Lars'uper human output.

Can any kind of  `regexp'  or `boolean'  formula be  used at the  nnir
prompt.  The comments in nnir.el, say a 'string' is expected. But that
word always confuses me.  It gets used to mean just about anything.

It seems any attempt to use a regexp or boolean operator
like:  cake\|cookies  or cake;cookies

(both are supported by "glimpse", the  second one meaning `and' instead of `or')
results in a lenghty stall that never completes.
Is this just on my setup?  Are others able to use regular expressions?

Can any command flags be passed to `glimpse' from the `G G' command prompt?

What problems are encountered trying to impliment the use of the
`glimpse' -F flag?  (can be used to restrict the search)

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: nnir search string
@ 1998-08-31 14:49 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-08-31 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Harry> Can any kind of `regexp' or `boolean' formula be used at the
  Harry> nnir prompt.  The comments in nnir.el, say a 'string' is
  Harry> expected. But that word always confuses me.  It gets used to
  Harry> mean just about anything.

I used the word string because I didn't want to tell you what it means
:-)

No, seriously: it is a query as defined by the current search engine.
Thus, if you use Glimpse, you can type a Glimpse query as if you were
calling Glimpse from the command line (modulo shell escapes -- see
below).  If you use freeWAIS-sf, you type in a fwsf query.

Only difference is that in the shell you need to be careful with
special characters like * and ?.  When typing the query after `G G',
you can just type * and it will be passed on to Glimpse or freeWAIS-sf
just like that.

kai
--
OOP: object oriented programming;  OOPS: object oriented mistakes

* Re: nnir search string
@ 1998-08-31 15:31 ` Francisco Solsona
From: Francisco Solsona @ 1998-08-31 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> This will probably get lost in Lars'uper human output.
>
> Can any kind of  `regexp'  or `boolean'  formula be  used at the  nnir
> prompt.  The comments in nnir.el, say a 'string' is expected. But that
> word always confuses me.  It gets used to mean just about anything.
>
> It seems any attempt to use a regexp or boolean operator
> like:  cake\|cookies  or cake;cookies
>
> (both are supported by "glimpse", the  second one meaning `and' instead of `or')
> results in a lenghty stall that never completes.
> Is this just on my setup?  Are others able to use regular expressions?

	Yup. I just go: `G G' and then `foo|bar' and it works.

> Can any command flags be passed to `glimpse' from the `G G' command prompt?

	I haven't try it, but you should be able to say something
like: `G G' `-YourOpcion YourParameters YourQuery' without any
problem, the "query" is inserted as is.

> What problems are encountered trying to impliment the use of the
> `glimpse' -F flag?  (can be used to restrict the search)

	I don't know what you mean, since the -F flag is used all the
time to restrict your query to mail files only.

Francisco
--
If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every
word you say, talk in your sleep.

* Re: nnir search string
@ 1998-08-31 15:46   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-08-31 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@amaunet.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>   Harry> Can any kind of `regexp' or `boolean' formula be used at the
>   Harry> nnir prompt.  The comments in nnir.el, say a 'string' is
>   Harry> expected. But that word always confuses me.  It gets used to
>   Harry> mean just about anything.
>
> I used the word string because I didn't want to tell you what it means
> :-)

Hehe -- it didn't worked...

> No, seriously: it is a query as defined by the current search engine.
> Thus, if you use Glimpse, you can type a Glimpse query as if you were
> calling Glimpse from the command line (modulo shell escapes -- see
> below).  If you use freeWAIS-sf, you type in a fwsf query.

> Only difference is that in the shell you need to be careful with
> special characters like * and ?.  When typing the query after `G G',
> you can just type * and it will be passed on to Glimpse or freeWAIS-sf
> just like that.

This command line:

glimpse -d '\^d' -F ding -H ~/.glimpse-m "nnglimpse,nnir"

Will search only groups having 'ding' in the path, delimited on EOF,
and find all your postings in my 'ding' group from nnglimpse onward

But an nnir rendition:
-F ding 'nnglimpse,nnir' only gives
"cannot open group"

Facncisco writes:
 > > What problems are encountered trying to impliment the use of the
 > > `glimpse' -F flag?  (can be used to restrict the search)
 >
 > 	   I don't know what you mean, since the -F flag is used all the
 > time to restrict your query to mail files only.

Now I get it.  I can't use the '-F' flag because it is already in use.

Duh...

--

Running Redhat Linux-5.1

@ 1998-08-31 16:18     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-08-31 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Facncisco writes:
>  > > What problems are encountered trying to impliment the use of the
>  > > `glimpse' -F flag?  (can be used to restrict the search)
>  >
>  > 	   I don't know what you mean, since the -F flag is used all the
>  > time to restrict your query to mail files only.
>
> Now I get it.  I can't use the '-F' flag because it is already in use.
>
> Duh...

But it seems then that one should be able to reset
`nnir-glimpse-remove-prefix' from the default
"home/<user>/Mail/"  To: "/home/<user>/Mail/mail/ding"
And thereby strip that prefix and search only "nnml:mail.ding"

With C-h v showing:
o nnir-glimpse-remove-prefix's value is
o "/home/reader/Mail/mail/ding"
o Documentation:
o *The prefix to remove from each file name returned by Glimpse
o in order to get a group name (albeit with / instead of .).

Then `G G' nnir<RET>

Goes into a trance. Message buffer shows this after manually stopping
it with C-g:

Retrieving newsgroup: nnir:nnir...
Doing glimpse query nnir...
Doing glimpse query nnir...done
Fetching headers for nnir:nnir...
Quit

The 'fetching headers' part never happens.

--

Running Redhat Linux-5.1

@ 1998-08-31 21:42     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-08-31 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Harry> This command line:

  Harry> glimpse -d '\^d' -F ding -H ~/.glimpse-m "nnglimpse,nnir"

  Harry> Will search only groups having 'ding' in the path, delimited on EOF,
  Harry> and find all your postings in my 'ding' group from nnglimpse onward

  Harry> But an nnir rendition:
  Harry> -F ding 'nnglimpse,nnir' only gives
  Harry> "cannot open group"

Your nnir rendition is equivalent to the following command line:

,-----
| glimpse -H /home/reader -F /home/reader/Mail "-F ding 'nnglimpse,nnir'"
`-----

It didn't find a file named "ding 'nnglimpse,nnir'"...

kai
--

@ 1998-08-31 21:44   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-08-31 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Francisco> I haven't try it, but you should be able to say something
  Francisco> like: `G G' `-YourOpcion YourParameters YourQuery'
  Francisco> without any problem, the "query" is inserted as is.

No, the string typed by the user is added to the command line as one
word, as if it were surrounded by single quotes.

I'll think up something, though.  Jari has made a good suggestion
which I can put to use.  If only I had time...  Until then, you'll all
have to live with slow glimpse searches, I'm afraid.

kai
--
OOP: object oriented programming;  OOPS: object oriented mistakes