* Undigestifying incoming mail?
@ 1996-10-14  6:33 Kees de Bruin
From: Kees de Bruin @ 1996-10-14  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm subscribed to a number of mailing lists that come in a digested form
and are now processed using C-d in the summary buffer. However, what I
would like is that the undigestifying is done while distributing the
incoming mail over my nnml groups.

Kind regards,

--
Kees de Bruin                                           Tasking Software BV
Software Engineer

* Re: Undigestifying incoming mail?
@ 1996-10-14 20:25 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-10-14 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

kees_de_bruin@tasking.nl (Kees de Bruin) writes:

> I'm subscribed to a number of mailing lists that come in a digested form
> and are now processed using C-d in the summary buffer. However, what I
> would like is that the undigestifying is done while distributing the
> incoming mail over my nnml groups.

This isn't currently possible.  I've now added it to the todo list.

* Re: Undigestifying incoming mail?
@ 1996-10-16  7:00 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1996-10-16  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm subscribed to a number of mailing lists that come in a digested form
> and are now processed using C-d in the summary buffer. However, what I
> would like is that the undigestifying is done while distributing the
> incoming mail over my nnml groups.

This should be possible to do with procmail delivery to a spool mbox
file (NB! I haven't actually tried it).

- Steinar

* Re: Undigestifying incoming mail?
@ 1996-10-16  8:32   ` Holger Franz
From: Holger Franz @ 1996-10-16  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

 >> I'm subscribed to a number of mailing lists that come in a
 >> digested form and are now processed using C-d in the summary
 >> buffer. However, what I would like is that the undigestifying is
 >> done while distributing the incoming mail over my nnml groups.

 Steinar> This should be possible to do with procmail delivery to a
 Steinar> spool mbox file (NB! I haven't actually tried it).

I have tried it on the ding-rn-digest list an it worked just fine. A
cookbook recipe:
 * Get procmail: ftp://ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/packages/procmail/
 * Follow the installation procedure and note the subtleties involved
   with older versions of sendmail.
 * use a '.procmailrc' with something like:

---8<---
PATH=$HOME/bin:$HOME/Abin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
MAILDIR=$HOME/spool	# You'd better make sure it exists
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox.spool
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail

# An alternative and probably more efficient solution to splitting up a digest
# would be (only works for standard format mailbox files though):
:0:
* ^Subject:.*Digest
|formail +1 -ds cat >>mbox.spool

# Anything that has not been delivered by now will go to $DEFAULT
# using LOCKFILE=$DEFAULT$LOCKEXT
---8<---

The procmail package contains some more elaborate rules examples.

Of course you will have to add
(setq nnmail-use-procmail t
      nnmail-procmail-directory (expand-file-name "~/spool/")
      nnmail-resplit-incoming t)
to your '.gnus'.

Holger

--
Holger Franz <hfranz@physik.rwth-aachen.de>

Caution: feeding Gnus to your XEmacs will make it fat.