* coding-system conflicts ?
@ 2002-09-27  8:15 Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2002-09-27  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using the latest cvs Gnus + XEmacs native win32.
When I reply to some French message, the mm-* functions try to guess
what encoding is most appropriate. I have traced the behaviour to
return most of the times iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-9. Unfortunately, it
is not enough for the function `mm-find-mime-charset-region' to
convert everything to iso-8859-15. And the message is sent in 2 parts,
which is a bit annoying (If I reply using supercite, it can even be
split in much more parts, because coding is different for the cited
parts and for the ones I'm typing in).

So what's wrong ? Should the reply buffer coding system be set to
iso-8859-15 or is it xemacs which is wrongly guessing both -9 and -1
(where I suspect -1 only would be ok) ?

Thanks for any help,

--
Fabrice

* Re: coding-system conflicts ?
@ 2002-09-27 10:32 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-27 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Fabrice Popineau <Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr> writes:

> I'm using the latest cvs Gnus + XEmacs native win32.
> When I reply to some French message, the mm-* functions try to guess
> what encoding is most appropriate. I have traced the behaviour to
> return most of the times iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-9. Unfortunately, it
> is not enough for the function `mm-find-mime-charset-region' to
> convert everything to iso-8859-15. And the message is sent in 2 parts,

Do you have the Latin-Unity package installed?  I thought that
package provides iso-8859 unification.

kai

* Re: coding-system conflicts ?
@ 2002-09-27 11:18   ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-09-27 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Kai Gro wrote:
> Fabrice Popineau <Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr> writes:
>
>> I'm using the latest cvs Gnus + XEmacs native win32. When I reply to
>> some French message, the mm-* functions try to guess what encoding is
>> most appropriate. I have traced the behaviour to return most of the
>> times iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-9. Unfortunately, it is not enough for
>> the function `mm-find-mime-charset-region' to convert everything to
>> iso-8859-15. And the message is sent in 2 parts,
>
> Do you have the Latin-Unity package installed?  I thought that
> package provides iso-8859 unification.

It needs to be activated with `latin-unity-install' as well, otherwise
it's ineffective. It should resolve the problem mentioned by the OP as
well.

        Daniel

--
Many people suffer with their thoughts, not knowing that revealing them on
paper, continuously over a two hour period, removes the stinging bitterness

* Re: coding-system conflicts ?
@ 2002-09-27 13:50 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2002-09-27 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabrice Popineau <Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr> writes:

> So what's wrong ? Should the reply buffer coding system be set to
> iso-8859-15 or is it xemacs which is wrongly guessing both -9 and -1
> (where I suspect -1 only would be ok) ?

XEmacs is broken in this aspect at the moment. (See my mail to the
xemacs-beta list). Perhaps you want to drop a note there too?

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: coding-system conflicts ?
@ 2002-09-27 14:45   ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2002-09-27 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> XEmacs is broken in this aspect at the moment. (See my mail to the
> xemacs-beta list). Perhaps you want to drop a note there too?

Well, I'll do it. For the moment, it seems that (latin-unity-install)
is ok. Thanks for the hint.

I need to investigate a bit deeper and ensure that nothing else
is wrong. I had problems with my XEmacs+Mule compiled with
optimization : many of the basic Mule functions were just broken. It
took me bit of time to sort this out

--
Fabrice