* bbdb & gnus
@ 1999-07-20 18:45 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1999-07-20 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

This question isn't, perhaps, strictly ding-related, but here goes.
Having heard a lot about bbdb, I decided I wanted to give it a try.
So I grabbed bbdb-2.00, hacked it together under NT Emacs 20.3.1
despite the ugly Makefile, and got it running.

Now when I open mail in gnus (pgnus-0.95), I get messages about
BBDB and frobnicating, so it seems to be working.

But my ~/.bbdb is empty.

Ring any bells?
                                        Cheers,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Practice random acts of
http://nwalsh.com/                 | intelligence and senseless acts of
                                   | self-control.

* Re: bbdb & gnus
@ 1999-07-20 19:03 ` Ted Rathkopf
From: Ted Rathkopf @ 1999-07-20 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> This question isn't, perhaps, strictly ding-related, but here goes.
> Having heard a lot about bbdb, I decided I wanted to give it a try.
> So I grabbed bbdb-2.00, hacked it together under NT Emacs 20.3.1
> despite the ugly Makefile, and got it running.
>
> Now when I open mail in gnus (pgnus-0.95), I get messages about
> BBDB and frobnicating, so it seems to be working.
>
> But my ~/.bbdb is empty.
>
> Ring any bells?

When you buy a rolodex, do you expect it to come filled with the
addresses and phone numbers of all your contacts?

Try "M-x bbdb-create" and add an entry, and then see if it is still
empty.

--
Ted Rathkopf

* Re: bbdb & gnus
@ 1999-07-20 20:44 ` Colin Rafferty
       [not found]   ` <m3r9m1iu8l.fsf@maya.dyndns.org>
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1999-07-20 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Send mail to bbdb-info-request@xemacs.org with the subject "subscribe'.

> So I grabbed bbdb-2.00,

Grab 2.00.06 from the same place.  It's the bugfix version.

> Now when I open mail in gnus (pgnus-0.95), I get messages about
> BBDB and frobnicating, so it seems to be working.

> But my ~/.bbdb is empty.

As Ted Rathkopf said, you haven't added anything yet.

In order to set it up to work with gnus, you should have the following
line in your .emacs:

(bbdb-initialize 'gnus)

Now, you can type `:' in the *Summary*, and you will get a buffer with
the sender.  If there is no entry for that person, BBDB will ask if
you want one created.

If you want to created entries automatically while reading, see the
variable `bbdb/news-auto-create-p'.

You may also want to read the fine manual that comes with BBDB.

--
Colin

* Re: bbdb & gnus
       [not found]   ` <m3r9m1iu8l.fsf@maya.dyndns.org>