* the old news server just won't die
@ 2000-06-12 11:34 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-06-12 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I while ago I changed my news server from the news server of the job
ISP to the news server of my cable modem provider.

However the old newsserver, news.eunet.no, refuses to go away.  If I
look in the server buffer, there it is.

If I try to kill it with a "k", I'm told that this is a read-only
server and I can't kill it.

It seems to be related to the agent somehow, because it pops up
after I've done a
	J s

I've cleaned away
	~/News/agent/nntp/news.eunet.no/
once today, but it was recreated.

There is nothing in ~/.gnus.el or ~/.newsrc.eld relating to
news.eunet.no.

Any ideas?

* Re: the old news server just won't die
@ 2000-06-12 11:59 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-06-12 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 01:34:40PM +0200, Steinar Bang wrote:
> I while ago I changed my news server from the news server of the job
> ISP to the news server of my cable modem provider.
>
> However the old newsserver, news.eunet.no, refuses to go away.  If I
> look in the server buffer, there it is.
>
> If I try to kill it with a "k", I'm told that this is a read-only
> server and I can't kill it.
>
> It seems to be related to the agent somehow, because it pops up
> after I've done a
> 	J s
>
> I've cleaned away
> 	~/News/agent/nntp/news.eunet.no/
> once today, but it was recreated.
>
> There is nothing in ~/.gnus.el or ~/.newsrc.eld relating to
> news.eunet.no.
>
> Any ideas?

What does  ~/News/agent/lib/servers  say?

* Re: the old news server just won't die
@ 2000-06-12 12:50 ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2000-06-12 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

[Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>]

> I while ago I changed my news server from the news server of the job
> ISP to the news server of my cable modem provider.  However the old
> newsserver, news.eunet.no, refuses to go away.  If I look in the server
> buffer, there it is.  [...] Any ideas?

In my experience, you have to shutdown Gnus (even restart Emacs :-),
and _carefully_ clean out any reference from your `.newsrc.eld' file.

* Re: the old news server just won't die
@ 2000-06-12 12:58   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-06-12 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Any ideas?

> What does  ~/News/agent/lib/servers  say?

Hm... this one has an nntp server named news.eunet.no inside it.

Should I just clean it out?

* Re: the old news server just won't die
@ 2000-06-12 13:03     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-06-12 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Any ideas?

>> What does  ~/News/agent/lib/servers  say?

> Hm... this one has an nntp server named news.eunet.no inside it.

> Should I just clean it out?

I did, restarted gnus, did a "g", and then a "J s", and found no
server named "news.eunet.no" in the server buffer, so that seems to
have cleaned it away for good.

Thanx!

* Re: the old news server just won't die
@ 2000-06-12 13:03     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-06-12 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 02:58:49PM +0200, Steinar Bang wrote:

> >> Any ideas?
>
> > What does  ~/News/agent/lib/servers  say?
>
> Hm... this one has an nntp server named news.eunet.no inside it.
>
> Should I just clean it out?

Yup
Then make sure there are no groups under that server remaining in
group list.

* Re: the old news server just won't die
@ 2000-06-12 13:16       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-06-12 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 03:03:10PM +0200, Steinar Bang wrote:

> >> What does  ~/News/agent/lib/servers  say?
>
> > Hm... this one has an nntp server named news.eunet.no inside it.
>
> > Should I just clean it out?
>
> I did, restarted gnus, did a "g", and then a "J s", and found no
> server named "news.eunet.no" in the server buffer, so that seems to
> have cleaned it away for good.

Should do it..

When you enter a server into agent... The default server is entered by
default.  Gnus writes that to News/agent/lib/servers

* Re: the old news server just won't die
@ 2000-06-12 15:51   ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 2000-06-12 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="", Size: 183 bytes --]

François Pinard writes:

> In my experience, you have to shutdown Gnus (even restart Emacs :-),

You have the smiley in the wrnog direction.  It should be :-(.

--
Colin

* Re: the old news server just won't die
@ 2000-06-12 16:13     ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2000-06-12 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Colin Rafferty <colin.rafferty@msdw.com>]

> François Pinard writes:

> > In my experience, you have to shutdown Gnus (even restart Emacs :-),

> You have the smiley in the wrong direction.  It should be :-(.

:-( then! :-)

I restart Emacs because I know that restarting Gnus does not reset
everything.  For one example I known well, the nnmail-split-history is not
cleared through the action of `R' in Group mode.  I never reported this bug
to Lars (I hope he does not read this list :-), because this is useful.
I sometimes have to use `R' to force new articles to appear after having
moved them between groups, and I like keeping the `%' marks in such cases.

Hmph!  Thinking a bit more about it, I see I'm all wrong.  I should report
that `R' does not clear nnmail-split-history as it should, and ask Lars to
correct this.  This will increase my urge that articles should appear after
a move, as `R' would not work around the problem as satisfactorily as it
once did, and I will then cry a bit more for that to be repaired as well.
A bit more suffering now will yield a better Gnus in the long run!

* Re: the old news server just won't die
@ 2000-06-12 16:24       ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 2000-06-12 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)