* colors fun
@ 1999-05-04 11:39 Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 1999-05-04 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

hejka,

i   started to  play   with colors in  gnus.  everything  is very easy
configurable,  but i   have  one problem:  how  to  set  the color  of
background not covered by  text? (i don't  use customization, just put
manually everything in my .gnus, you can take a look at it at:
 http://phoner.blah.pl/Texts/dotgnus.txt).
if you can't see the problem, look at:
 http://phoner.blah.pl/Pics/gnus-group-mycolors.gif
ugly, isn't it? ;)

basically, i use something like:
 (set-face-foreground 'gnus-group-news-1-empty-face "red")
 (set-face-foreground 'gnus-group-news-1-face "red")
 (set-face-background 'gnus-group-news-1-empty-face "darkorange")
 (set-face-background 'gnus-group-news-1-face "orange")
but there's no something like "set-background" or similar. what should
i look for? any hints (and code :)) are welcome.

m.m.
--
 use gnus not guns!

* Re: colors fun
@ 1999-05-05 10:59 ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1999-05-05 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Maciej> basically, i use something like:
 Maciej>  (set-face-foreground 'gnus-group-news-1-empty-face "red")
 Maciej>  (set-face-foreground 'gnus-group-news-1-face "red")
 Maciej>  (set-face-background 'gnus-group-news-1-empty-face
 Maciej>  "darkorange") (set-face-background 'gnus-group-news-1-face
 Maciej>  "orange")
 Maciej> but there's no something like "set-background" or similar.
 Maciej> what should i look for? any hints (and code :)) are welcome.

XEmacs 20.4:

C-h f set-face-background RET

`set-face-background' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
  -- loaded from "faces.elc"
(set-face-background FACE COLOR &optional LOCALE TAG-SET HOW-TO-ADD)

Change the background of the given face.

[...]

	Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>

* Re: colors fun
@ 1999-05-05 11:50   ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-05-05 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Bihlmeyer <e9426626@stud2.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

  > Hi,

  >  Maciej> basically, i use something like:
  >  Maciej>  (set-face-background 'gnus-group-news-1-empty-face
  >  Maciej>  "darkorange") (set-face-background 'gnus-group-news-1-face
  >  Maciej>  "orange")
  >
  > XEmacs 20.4:
  >
  > C-h f set-face-background RET

As you can see, Maciej is *already* using set-face-background, but
this does not set the background to the right of the text.  Look at
the gif, it shows you what's wrong.

I think you can only set the default background to something more
useful.  I do that using X resources: Emacs*Background.

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]

* Re: colors fun
@ 1999-05-05 12:22     ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1999-05-05 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Kai> As you can see, Maciej is *already* using set-face-background,

*blush* If I had opened my eyes, that is.

 Kai> but this does not set the background to the right of the text.
 Kai> Look at the gif, it shows you what's wrong.

The download timed out for me, but I think I know what you mean.

 Kai> I think you can only set the default background to something
 Kai> more useful. I do that using X resources: Emacs*Background.

Hmm, how does w3 do it? It sets the whole window's background color?

	Robbe

--

@ 1999-05-05 13:09       ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1999-05-05 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Bihlmeyer writes:

Kai> I think you can only set the default background to something
Kai> more useful. I do that using X resources: Emacs*Background.

> Hmm, how does w3 do it? It sets the whole window's background color?

I don't know about how w3 does it, but in XEmacs you can do something
like this:

    (set-face-background 'default "HotPink" (current-buffer))

--
Colin