Similar to yesterday's patch, I have noticed that in a check for gnus-article-mode, we should be checking for gnus-picons-mode. On the other hand, I'm not sure why there is a gnus-picons-mode. Does it actually give us anything? Maybe it should be a minor mode, and then the major-mode can still be gnus-article-mode, and gnus-art.el doesn't need to know about picons, and we may even be able to put picons in non-gnus-article-mode buffers. Anyway, here is my patch. The line numbers may be off slightly because of my previous patches.