* nested requests (gnus + bbdb 2.0)
@ 1998-11-19 16:02 Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1998-11-19 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I probably made a mistake upgrading to emacs 20.3, pgnus AND bbdb 2.0 all
in the same day, but everything seems to be working.

I thought emacs knew how to handle these things, but there are looped
require dependencies between gnus and bbdb that cause emacs to error with
an infinite loop of package loading.

Since the problem starts on the load of message (specifically, when it runs
the message-load-hooks), I simply swapped the (provide 'message) and
(run-hooks 'message-load-hooks) lines.

Is there a better way to take care of this problem generically?  Should
bbdb have (require 'gnus) embedded in the file that gets autoloaded by a
function in my message-load-hook?

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: I am KING BOMBA of Sicily!..I will marry LUCILLE BALL next Friday!

* Re: nested requests (gnus + bbdb 2.0)
@ 1998-11-19 16:37 ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1998-11-19 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu> writes:

> Is there a better way to take care of this problem generically?

Provide the feature at the start of the file not at the beginning.
I think this is the main reason VM's .el files have it that way.

Jan

* Re: nested requests (gnus + bbdb 2.0)
@ 1998-11-19 16:59 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1998-11-19 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson writes:

> Since the problem starts on the load of message (specifically, when it runs
> the message-load-hooks), I simply swapped the (provide 'message) and
> (run-hooks 'message-load-hooks) lines.

In general, this is the correct thing to do.  There is a recent patch
of BBDB that fixes a similar problem.

You should always do the provide before you run hooks.

--
Colin

* Re: nested requests (gnus + bbdb 2.0)
@ 1998-11-20  2:38   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-20  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Rafferty <craffert@ms.com> writes:

> > Since the problem starts on the load of message (specifically, when it runs
> > the message-load-hooks), I simply swapped the (provide 'message) and
> > (run-hooks 'message-load-hooks) lines.
>
> In general, this is the correct thing to do.  There is a recent patch
> of BBDB that fixes a similar problem.
>
> You should always do the provide before you run hooks.

I've now fixed this in message.el.