* Improve G m to make it more user friendly?
@ 2004-07-14 13:40 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-07-14 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

G m INBOX.foo RET nnimap:bar RET creates the group
nnimap+bar:INBOX.foo.

I see two problems with this:

(1) I need to enter "INBOX.foo" first and "nnimap:bar" last, but the
    group name has it the other way round.

(2) I need to enter "nnimap:bar" to have "nnimap+bar" appear in the
    group name.

WDYT?

Kai

* Re: Improve G m to make it more user friendly?
@ 2004-07-14 18:31 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-07-14 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> G m INBOX.foo RET nnimap:bar RET creates the group
> nnimap+bar:INBOX.foo.
>
> I see two problems with this:
>
> (1) I need to enter "INBOX.foo" first and "nnimap:bar" last, but the
>     group name has it the other way round.
>
> (2) I need to enter "nnimap:bar" to have "nnimap+bar" appear in the
>     group name.
>
> WDYT?

I agree, I always thought the G m command appeared unfinished somehow.

How about making it just G m nnimap+bar:INBOX.foo RET, making sure the
auto completion is smart enough to notice what field the user want to
complete?

* Re: Improve G m to make it more user friendly?
@ 2004-07-17 15:35   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-07-17 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> How about making it just G m nnimap+bar:INBOX.foo RET, making sure the
> auto completion is smart enough to notice what field the user want to
> complete?

That would be great!

@ 2004-07-17 17:26     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-07-17 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> How about making it just G m nnimap+bar:INBOX.foo RET, making sure the
>> auto completion is smart enough to notice what field the user want to
>> complete?
>
> That would be great!

Yup.  How about what's in CVS now?  I didn't really test it.

* Re: Improve G m to make it more user friendly?
@ 2004-07-18 14:48     ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-07-18 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> wrote:
> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:

>> How about making it just G m nnimap+bar:INBOX.foo RET, making sure the
>> auto completion is smart enough to notice what field the user want to
>> complete?

> That would be great!

I would like to second this!

Regards,
Marcus
--
"I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun

* Re: Improve G m to make it more user friendly?
@ 2004-07-18 14:50       ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-07-18 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> wrote:

>>> How about making it just G m nnimap+bar:INBOX.foo RET, making sure the
>>> auto completion is smart enough to notice what field the user want to
>>> complete?

> Yup.  How about what's in CVS now?  I didn't really test it.

Doesn't seem to work. There's no tab-completion when I want to enter
something after "Group name:" in the mini buffer.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Ist die Zeitkoordinate nur lang genug, sinkt die Überlebensquote auf Null."

* Re: Improve G m to make it more user friendly?
@ 2004-07-18 22:54         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-07-18 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:

>> Yup.  How about what's in CVS now?  I didn't really test it.
>
> Doesn't seem to work. There's no tab-completion when I want to enter
> something after "Group name:" in the mini buffer.

Did you recompile Gnus and restart Emacs?  The prompt in the new code
should be "Group:" and not "Group name:".

If not, (setq debug-on-signal t) and C-g at the prompt and post the
backtrace.  Did you invoke it by `G m'?

* Re: Improve G m to make it more user friendly?
@ 2004-07-19 11:34           ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-07-19 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> wrote:

> Did you recompile Gnus and restart Emacs?  The prompt in the new code
> should be "Group:" and not "Group name:".
> If not, (setq debug-on-signal t) and C-g at the prompt and post the
> backtrace.  Did you invoke it by `G m'?

Yes, I called `G m' but it's working now. I think that yesterday I
restarted Gnus only and not Emacs as well. At least I have "Group:" now
and tab-completion works (with the same CVS Gnus from yesterday).

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Natürlich greift der Virus Zonealarm an, er hätte ja sonst keine Chance
durchzukommen. Das bestätigt das ZA eine zusätzliche Sicherung darstellt."

* Re: Improve G m to make it more user friendly?
@ 2004-07-20 12:37             ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-07-20 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

The new `G m' command looks nice to me, but...

Try the following:

mv .newsrc.eld newsrc.eld
mv .newsrc newsrc
mv .gnus.el gnus.el
emacs -f gnus

Then, how do we make the nnml:inbox group?  Typing `G m
nnml:inbox RET' creates the `inbox' group, not `nnml:inbox'.
Because the nnml server has not been activated yet, maybe.  In
other words, should new users type `M-x gnus-group-make-group'
instead of `G m'?  :)
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: Improve G m to make it more user friendly?
@ 2004-07-25 13:20               ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2004-07-25 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> The new `G m' command looks nice to me, but...
>
> Try the following:
>
> mv .newsrc.eld newsrc.eld
> mv .newsrc newsrc
> mv .gnus.el gnus.el
> emacs -f gnus
>
> Then, how do we make the nnml:inbox group?  Typing `G m
> nnml:inbox RET' creates the `inbox' group, not `nnml:inbox'.
> Because the nnml server has not been activated yet, maybe.  In
> other words, should new users type `M-x gnus-group-make-group'
> instead of `G m'?  :)

I think Katsumi's point is well taken.  I just stumbled into this
after a recent cvs update.

I wanted to create an nnml group but I see no way to do that with the
new `G m' code.

Typing `G m' gives me a `Group:' prompt.  Already its more confusing
than the old way.  As I recall the old way prompt had the word `name'
in it somewhere, so it was clear this was the final name being
requested.  Skipping that for a moment.

Neither nnml:bperl<RET> nor bperl<RET> results in the desired
nnml:bperl.
I don't think this is really usable as it is.

* Re: Improve G m to make it more user friendly?
@ 2004-07-26 16:37                 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-07-26 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>
>> The new `G m' command looks nice to me, but...
>>
>> Try the following:
>>
>> mv .newsrc.eld newsrc.eld
>> mv .newsrc newsrc
>> mv .gnus.el gnus.el
>> emacs -f gnus
>>
>> Then, how do we make the nnml:inbox group?  Typing `G m
>> nnml:inbox RET' creates the `inbox' group, not `nnml:inbox'.
>> Because the nnml server has not been activated yet, maybe.  In
>> other words, should new users type `M-x gnus-group-make-group'
>> instead of `G m'?  :)
>
> I think Katsumi's point is well taken.  I just stumbled into this
> after a recent cvs update.
>
> I wanted to create an nnml group but I see no way to do that with the
> new `G m' code.
>
> Typing `G m' gives me a `Group:' prompt.  Already its more confusing
> than the old way.  As I recall the old way prompt had the word `name'
> in it somewhere, so it was clear this was the final name being
> requested.  Skipping that for a moment.
>
> Neither nnml:bperl<RET> nor bperl<RET> results in the desired
> nnml:bperl.
> I don't think this is really usable as it is.

Ok, I reverted part of the patch, so that `G m' now work as before.
`gnus-group-make-group-simple' is still available, though, if someone
wants to use it.  Perhaps there can be a separate key/menu binding for
*-simple, since the function might be useful for some.

* Re: Improve G m to make it more user friendly?
@ 2004-07-26 18:21                   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2004-07-26 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Neither nnml:bperl<RET> nor bperl<RET> results in the desired
>> nnml:bperl.
>> I don't think this is really usable as it is.
>
> Ok, I reverted part of the patch, so that `G m' now work as before.
> `gnus-group-make-group-simple' is still available, though, if someone
> wants to use it.  Perhaps there can be a separate key/menu binding for
> *-simple, since the function might be useful for some.

Sounds smart... thanks