From: Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com>
Subject: PGG broken? (was: Signing issues with gnus from CVS)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 00:56:45 +0200	[thread overview]

* Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

>> / gdt@work.lexort.com was heard to say:
>> | I got this once, but usually not.  Actually I just got sign error, but
>> | didn't look at backtrace.

>> I don't get it everytime, but definitely several times a day.

> Same here.  The only clue is this: you're not alone.  gnupg complains
> about wrong password (sent by pgg?).  This happend with gnus cvs of
> this morning as well.

And I can confirm this, too. PGG or something else seems to be pretty
broken since about 2 or 3 weeks.

My experiences:

1) When I use the set-policy-url option in my gpg.conf I can't sign
   mails anymore ("sign error"). After removing this option I can sign
   mails again.

2) Certain mails fail to decrypt. I'm asked for my passphrase again and
   again (and I *really* typed it correctly). Going back to an official
   Gnus release helped to successfully decrypt this certain mail.

3) I use PGG's passphrase-caching. I want to read an encrypted mail and
   enter my passphrase and the mail gets decrypted. Then I go to another
   encrypted mail and instead of decrypting it, I get:

,----
| [[PGP Encrypted Part:Failed]]
| [1. application/pgp-encrypted]
|
| Version: 1
| [[End of PGP Encrypted Part]]
`----

  Then I move around in the buffer and enter other messages and then go
  back to the mail which failed to decrypt before and suddenly it gets
  automatically decrypted.

I enabled pgg-gpg-debug but can't find anything useful to report in the
corresponding buffers. I'm also trying to go back and checking out
several CVS versions from the last days/weeks but have been unsucessful
so far to find out when this "behaviour" was introduced.

By the way, I'm using GPG 1.4.3 and fresh CVS versions of Gnus on both
Debian and FreeBSD. CVS Emacs is fresh as well.

Regards,
Marcus
--
Suicide is an urban disease