* Different ispell dictionaries in different groups?
@ 2004-03-11 21:58 Jonas Steverud
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2004-03-11 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

A "quick" question:

My main language is Swedish and about half of may emails are in
Swedish and the rest are in English. I have just started to use
flyspell-mode (yes, I am slow on the uptake) and I thought it would be
nice to have set which dictionary to use on a per group basis.

My first experiment with adding (FOOBAR (ispell-change-dictionary
"xxx")) (xxx = english|svenska) to the group parameters did not go
well, the summary buffer used the correct dictionary but not the
message in message-mode, it always used "english".

Any suggestions?

No Gnus v0.1
--
(        http://hem.bredband.net/steverud/        !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

* Re: Different ispell dictionaries in different groups?
@ 2004-03-11 22:15 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-03-11 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <tvrud@bredband.net> writes:

> A "quick" question:
>
> My main language is Swedish and about half of may emails are in
> Swedish and the rest are in English. I have just started to use
> flyspell-mode (yes, I am slow on the uptake) and I thought it would be
> nice to have set which dictionary to use on a per group basis.
>
> My first experiment with adding (FOOBAR (ispell-change-dictionary
> "xxx")) (xxx = english|svenska) to the group parameters did not go
> well, the summary buffer used the correct dictionary but not the
> message in message-mode, it always used "english".
>
> Any suggestions?

Not an answer, but I'd really like for a feature in flyspell to
auto-detect "secondary" languages.  Flyspell could try to count common
English words, and common Swedish words, and chose accordingly.  Or
try to switch dictionary when the failure rate is > 50 %, and see if
the failure rate decreases.  I think this approach would be more
reliable than group parameters.

* Re: Different ispell dictionaries in different groups?
@ 2004-03-11 22:20 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-03-11 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <tvrud <at> bredband.net> writes:

> Any suggestions?

Maybe you could give a try to this :

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusSpelling

Look at the gnus-parameters. This is something I wrote and submitted here. It
works for me (I use it for weeks now).

zeDek

* Re: Different ispell dictionaries in different groups?
@ 2004-03-11 22:49 ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-03-11 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Jonas Steverud <tvrud@bredband.net> wrote:

> My main language is Swedish and about half of may emails are in
> Swedish and the rest are in English. I have just started to use
> flyspell-mode (yes, I am slow on the uptake) and I thought it would be
> nice to have set which dictionary to use on a per group basis.

> My first experiment with adding (FOOBAR (ispell-change-dictionary
> "xxx")) (xxx = english|svenska) to the group parameters did not go
> well, the summary buffer used the correct dictionary but not the
> message in message-mode, it always used "english".

Don't use group parameters, use posting styles! See example below!

> Any suggestions?

(setq gnus-posting-styles
;; Default ----------------------------------------------------------------
      '((".*"
	 (eval (ispell-change-dictionary "deutsch9"))) ;; use German as default
;; News Default -----------------------------------------------------------
	((message-news-p)
;       Put your news stuff here!
        )
;; English groups ---------------------------------------------------------
	("^gnu\\." ;; just an example
	 (eval (ispell-change-dictionary "british"))) ;; for gnu.* use British
;; Mail default -----------------------------------------------------------
	((message-mail-p)
;       Put your mail stuff here!
        )))

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Oder z.B. zur Zeit mit weniger Internet-Port135-Angriffen, bei Deiner
Einwahl-Provider-IP-Adresse, etwa nachts um 3 Uhr, es nochmals versuchen."

Originalzitat von Johannes Sackmann in mpdsh über Security-Upgrades

* Re: Different ispell dictionaries in different groups?
@ 2004-03-12  8:40   ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2004-03-12  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> Jonas Steverud <tvrud <at> bredband.net> writes:
>
>> Any suggestions?
[...]
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusSpelling

Very interesting! What would you consider to be ETA before it ends up
in CVS/next release of Gnus?

I think I go for Marcus Fringes' solution for the time being - I try
to keep my .gnus free of experimental code.

(Marcus' solution doesn't work too well with mine setup since I don't
have a perfect hierarchy of mail groups - e.g. ding goes to
nnfolder:Ding and not nnfolder:Mail.Lists.Ding or something
similar. But I will use it until your code has ended up in Gnus.)

--

@ 2004-03-12  9:25     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-03-12  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <tvrud <at> bredband.net> writes:

> Xavier Maillard <zedek <at> gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
> > Jonas Steverud <tvrud <at> bredband.net> writes:
> >
> >> Any suggestions?
> [...]
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusSpelling
>
> Very interesting! What would you consider to be ETA before it ends up
> in CVS/next release of Gnus?

ETA ? I need to receive confirmation for my submition from the FSF before one
can actually incorporate it in Gnus. I sent them 2 days ago so ... :)

Regards,

zeDek

* Re: Different ispell dictionaries in different groups?
@ 2004-03-13  3:08   ` Patrice Neff
From: Patrice Neff @ 2004-03-13  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Not an answer, but I'd really like for a feature in flyspell to
> auto-detect "secondary" languages.  Flyspell could try to count common
> English words, and common Swedish words, and chose accordingly.  Or
> try to switch dictionary when the failure rate is > 50 %, and see if
> the failure rate decreases.  I think this approach would be more
> reliable than group parameters.

Try out if <http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?AutoLangMode>
suits your needs. I have tried it in the past and with some small
modifications (which mainly had to do with the fact that I use the
Swiss German dictionary instead of the German) it worked just fine.

Regards
Patrice

--
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes
to the Father except through me."               (The Bible, John 14:6)

* Re: Different ispell dictionaries in different groups?
@ 2004-03-13 12:15     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-03-13 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Not an answer, but I'd really like for a feature in flyspell to
>> auto-detect "secondary" languages.  Flyspell could try to count common
>> English words, and common Swedish words, and chose accordingly.  Or
>> try to switch dictionary when the failure rate is > 50 %, and see if
>> the failure rate decreases.  I think this approach would be more
>> reliable than group parameters.
>
> Try out if <http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?AutoLangMode>
> suits your needs. I have tried it in the past and with some small
> modifications (which mainly had to do with the fact that I use the
> Swiss German dictionary instead of the German) it worked just fine.

Thanks!  This seems just like what I was looking for.  It didn't work
out of the box (it couldn't find my Swedish dictionary), but it is
probably just some minor problem.