* Cannot enter Summary Buffer with recent Emacs 23 and No Gnus
@ 2008-04-07  8:15 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-04-07  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

I use Emacs 23 & No Gnus, both are up-to-date. When I want to enter the Summary
buffer, I get an error signaled and with debug-on-error enabled, I get this
backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid size: gnus-carpal")
  signal(error ("Invalid size: gnus-carpal"))
  error("Invalid size: %s" gnus-carpal)
  gnus-configure-frame((vertical 1.0 (summary 1.0 point) (if gnus-carpal (quote
...))))
  gnus-configure-windows(summary force)
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("nntp+Gmane:gmane.emacs.gnus.user" nil t nil nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("nntp+Gmane:gmane.emacs.gnus.user" nil t nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
  gnus-group-select-group(nil)
  gnus-topic-select-group(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-topic-select-group nil nil)

This happens with all groups, no matter what backend is used.  Any clue what
might have broken this?

The last time I did a cvs up on Emacs and Gnus was last Friday, so the
problematic change must have been committed in between that time.  A quick look
at the changelogs didn't find anything obvious, though.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Cannot enter Summary Buffer with recent Emacs 23 and No Gnus
@ 2008-04-07  8:27 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-04-07  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I use Emacs 23 & No Gnus, both are up-to-date. When I want to enter
> the Summary buffer, I get an error signaled and with debug-on-error
> enabled, I get this backtrace:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid size: gnus-carpal")
>   signal(error ("Invalid size: gnus-carpal"))
>   error("Invalid size: %s" gnus-carpal)
>   gnus-configure-frame((vertical 1.0 (summary 1.0 point) (if gnus-carpal (quote

Maybe it is due to an Emacs bug: (functionp 'if) => nil
Doesn't this do the trick?

(or (functionp 'if)
    (defadvice functionp (around workaround-bug (object) activate)
      "Workaround bug."
      (or ad-do-it
	  (setq ad-return-value (and (symbolp object) (fboundp object))))))

cf. http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.emacs.devel/thread=94543
    http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.emacs.gnus.user/thread=10787

* Re: Cannot enter Summary Buffer with recent Emacs 23 and No Gnus
@ 2008-04-07  8:55   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-04-07  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

Hi Katsumi,

>> I use Emacs 23 & No Gnus, both are up-to-date. When I want to enter
>> the Summary buffer, I get an error signaled and with debug-on-error
>> enabled, I get this backtrace:
>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid size: gnus-carpal")
>>   signal(error ("Invalid size: gnus-carpal"))
>>   error("Invalid size: %s" gnus-carpal)
>>   gnus-configure-frame((vertical 1.0 (summary 1.0 point) (if gnus-carpal (quote
>
> Maybe it is due to an Emacs bug: (functionp 'if) => nil
> Doesn't this do the trick?
>
> (or (functionp 'if)
>     (defadvice functionp (around workaround-bug (object) activate)
>       "Workaround bug."
>       (or ad-do-it
> 	  (setq ad-return-value (and (symbolp object) (fboundp object))))))

Indeed.  Befare evaling this, (functionp 'if) return nil.  After
evaluation, it's t again and gnus works as it should.

Thanks for the pointer.

@ 2008-04-07 11:22     ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2008-04-07 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

* Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid size: gnus-carpal")
>>>   signal(error ("Invalid size: gnus-carpal"))
>>>   error("Invalid size: %s" gnus-carpal)
>>>   gnus-configure-frame((vertical 1.0 (summary 1.0 point) (if gnus-carpal (quote

>> Doesn't this do the trick?

>> (or (functionp 'if)
>>     (defadvice functionp (around workaround-bug (object) activate)
>>       "Workaround bug."
>>       (or ad-do-it
>> 	  (setq ad-return-value (and (symbolp object) (fboundp object))))))

> Indeed.  Befare evaling this, (functionp 'if) return nil.  After
> evaluation, it's t again and gnus works as it should.

I can confirm this. I'm using an up-to-date CVS Gnus and the latest
emacs-snapshot package from <URL:http://emacs.orebokech.com/> on
Debian. Your workaround fixes this problem. Has anyone already reported
this to the Emacs developers?

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Tracer cartridges are used for target indication, fire adjustment, signal
purposes and destroying personnel. Tracer bullets can ignite. The path of the

* Re: Cannot enter Summary Buffer with recent Emacs 23 and No Gnus
@ 2008-04-08  6:39       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-04-08  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Yes, Katsumi did.  See <b4mej9ih34e.fsf@jpl.org> on emacs-devel.

@ 2008-04-08 11:33         ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2008-04-08 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

* Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:

>> Has anyone already reported this to the Emacs developers?
> Yes, Katsumi did.  See <b4mej9ih34e.fsf@jpl.org> on emacs-devel.

And by the way, Romain has uploaded a new package of emacs-snapshot for
Debian which fixes this isssue as well.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Do we take prisoners?" - "No. Kill all they send... And they will stop coming!"