* Gnus v5.2.24 is released
@ 1996-06-21 16:06 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-21 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bug fixes.  This is (hopefully) the version of Gnus that will be
included in XEmacs 19.14, unless something *really* serious pops up
the next few hours.  So if there's a problem with this release, get
back to me as soon as possible.

Get it from <URL:http://www.ifi.uio.no/~larsi/gnus.tar.gz> or
"ftp.ifi.uio.no:/pub/emacs/gnus/".

ChangeLog since last release:

Fri Jun 21 18:04:03 1996  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@ifi.uio.no>

	* gnus.el: Gnus v5.2.24 is released.

Fri Jun 21 16:36:03 1996  Christoph Wedler  <wedler@fmi.uni-passau.de>

	* gnus-picon.el (gnus-picons-insert-face-if-exists): Total change.
	Didn't conform with the conventions for picon databases.  Still a
	bit (MISC must be searched for explicitly), but otherwise we would
	always see the MISC/unknown face.  Faster.
	(gnus-article-display-picons): Use accordingly.
	(gnus-group-display-picons): Use accordingly.
	(gnus-picons-try-to-find-face): Optional argument for not using
	`gnus-picons-glyph-alist'--otherwise we would always see the same
        x-face.
	(gnus-picons-display-x-face): Use it.
	(gnus-picons-reverse-domain-path): Deletia.

Fri Jun 21 15:14:33 1996  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@ifi.uio.no>

	* gnus-vis.el (gnus-group-make-menu-bar): Fix the menu bar
	slightly.

	* gnus.el (gnus-thread-total-score-1): Didn't count right.

	* message.el (message-bounce): Would not skip past all blank
	lines.

	* gnus.el (gnus-directory): Removed autoload.
	(gnus-activate-group): Pass the `method' argument on.

Fri Jun 21 09:41:53 1996  Hrvoje Niksic  <hniksic@srce.hr>

	* gnus-vis.el (gnus-button-alist): Exclude > from mailto button.

Fri Jun 21 09:37:39 1996  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <lars@eyesore.no>

	* gnus.el (gnus-article-mode-map): `end-of-bnuffer'.  :-)

Fri Jun 21 09:34:29 1996  Philippe Troin  <ptroin@compass-da.com>

	* gnus.el (gnus-thread-total-score-1): Don't count non-displayed
	articles.

Fri Jun 21 09:21:11 1996  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <lars@eyesore.no>

	* nnheader.el (nnheader-translate-file-chars): Would give faulty
 	results on NTs.

Fri Jun 21 09:08:48 1996  Philippe Troin  <ptroin@compass-da.com>

	* gnus-cite.el (gnus-article-hide-citation): Would sometimes bug
	out.

Fri Jun 21 09:01:51 1996  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <lars@eyesore.no>

	* gnus-msg.el (gnus-copy-article-buffer): Would include text
	properties on XEmacs.

Thu Jun 20 18:38:07 1996  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@ifi.uio.no>

	* message.el (message-mode): Took `C-n' expansion out.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Gnus v5.2.24 is released
@ 1996-06-21 18:00 ` Steven L Baur
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-06-21 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars> Bug fixes.  This is (hopefully) the version of Gnus that will be
Lars> included in XEmacs 19.14, unless something *really* serious pops
Lars> up the next few hours.  So if there's a problem with this
Lars> release, get back to me as soon as possible.

This looks much better than 5.2.23.  :-)

My last remaining nit involves the buffer menus & easymenu.

I don't know why the mailcrypt buffer menu and message mode menu don't
combine, but the only way I can see the message mode buffer menu is to
disable mailcrypt.  :-( Is this a bug in how easymenu is being called?
When I originally handcoded these menus they coexisted peacefully, and
you had access to all of them.

At any rate I seem to be able to see exactly one of the following
MIME Menu/Message Mode Menu/Mailcrypt menu as the buffer menu.  :-(

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: Gnus v5.2.24 is released
@ 1996-06-21 19:06   ` Mark Borges
       [not found]   ` <sdbuichi8t.fsf_-_@teal.ece.ucdavis.edu>
From: Mark Borges @ 1996-06-21 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding

Lars> Bug fixes.  This is (hopefully) the version of Gnus that will be
Lars> included in XEmacs 19.14, unless something *really* serious pops
Lars> up the next few hours.  So if there's a problem with this
Lars> release, get back to me as soon as possible.

SLB> This looks much better than 5.2.23.  :-)
How so? Do you mean the broken gnus-summary-followup-with-original()
(bound to `F') in 5.2.23? I just discovered it left Steven off the
recipient list, and wanted to send it to someone named

  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no>ding@ifi.uio.no

I don't think it's not an `rmail-dont-reply-to-names' thing,
either. Perhaps the abbrev-hacking-next-line that was added to 5.2.23
is involved (just a guess as I don't recall this problem in versions
prior to 5.2.23).

Anyway, I'll grab 5.2.24 now and see what happens

SLB> I don't know why the mailcrypt buffer menu and message mode menu don't
SLB> combine, but the only way I can see the message mode buffer menu is to
SLB> disable mailcrypt.  :-( Is this a bug in how easymenu is being called?

I see it (in 5.2.23). But I don't have tm enabled, whereas you do,
right?  My XEmacs-19.14 menubar in message-mode reads like so:

   File Edit ... SPARCworks Message Mailcrypt

Both menus look complete (too long to type in I mean :-< ).

Forgive me. This smiley fascination will soon fade...I just have to
try anything I can think of, without offending anyone 8-|.

--
  -mb-

* Re: Gnus v5.2.24 is released
@ 1996-06-21 19:09 ` Stephen Saroff
From: Stephen Saroff @ 1996-06-21 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there anyway I can off this #$% list.  I have asked three times

--
 Stephen Saroff           Swimming Bear Consulting    o o
 4010 Pillsbury Ave S.    612/822-2456   	      (_)_____o

* Re: Gnus v5.2.24 is released
@ 1996-06-21 19:24     ` Mark Borges
From: Mark Borges @ 1996-06-21 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding

>> On 21 Jun 1996 13:06:01 -0600,
>> Mark Borges(MB) wrote:
Lars> Bug fixes.  This is (hopefully) the version of Gnus that will be
Lars> included in XEmacs 19.14, unless something *really* serious pops
Lars> up the next few hours.  So if there's a problem with this
Lars> release, get back to me as soon as possible.

SLB> This looks much better than 5.2.23.  :-)
MB> How so? Do you mean the broken gnus-summary-followup-with-original()
MB> (bound to `F') in 5.2.23? I just discovered it left Steven off the
MB> recipient list, and wanted to send it to someone named

MB>   Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no>ding@ifi.uio.no

MB> Anyway, I'll grab 5.2.24 now and see what happens

gnus-summary-followup-with-original() seems to work OK in 5.2.24.

SLB> I don't know why the mailcrypt buffer menu and message mode menu don't
SLB> combine, but the only way I can see the message mode buffer menu is to
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
SLB> disable mailcrypt.  :-( Is this a bug in how easymenu is being called?

MB> I see it (in 5.2.23). But I don't have tm enabled, whereas you do,
MB> right?  My XEmacs-19.14 menubar in message-mode reads like so:

Sorry I may have misunderstood you. Do you mean the pop-up that
appears when you press the right mouse button? You want message-mode
and mailcrypt to combine into a single menu in that case? (I only see
the mailcrypt menu on the popup). If I had to choose I'd prefer the
message-mode menu to appear as I just don't use the mailcrypt functions
often enough to want them on the pop-up.

--
  -mb-

* Re: Gnus v5.2.24 is released
@ 1996-06-21 19:36       ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-06-21 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding

Mark> gnus-summary-followup-with-original() seems to work OK in 5.2.24.

It's broken as it sent it to me.  `Mail-Copies-To: never' is supposed
to spare me that behavior.

SLB> I don't know why the mailcrypt buffer menu and message mode menu don't
SLB> combine, but the only way I can see the message mode buffer menu is to
Mark>                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
SLB> disable mailcrypt.  :-( Is this a bug in how easymenu is being called?

MB> I see it (in 5.2.23). But I don't have tm enabled, whereas you do,
MB> right?  My XEmacs-19.14 menubar in message-mode reads like so:

Mark> Sorry I may have misunderstood you. Do you mean the pop-up that
Mark> appears when you press the right mouse button? You want message-mode
Mark> and mailcrypt to combine into a single menu in that case? (I only see
Mark> the mailcrypt menu on the popup). If I had to choose I'd prefer the
Mark> message-mode menu to appear as I just don't use the mailcrypt functions
Mark> often enough to want them on the pop-up.

The popup menu when you press the right mouse button in the buffer.  I
want everything, tm, mailcrypt, and message all in one menu.

--

@ 1996-06-21 21:11   ` Per Abrahamsen
       [not found]   ` <sdbuichi8t.fsf_-_@teal.ece.ucdavis.edu>
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-06-21 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

SLB> I don't know why the mailcrypt buffer menu and message mode menu don't
SLB> combine, but the only way I can see the message mode buffer menu is to
SLB> disable mailcrypt.  :-( Is this a bug in how easymenu is being called?

No, easymenu assumes that you want all the menus on the menu bar, and
only the last installed menu on mouse-3.

I might look into this after 19.14 is released.

* Re: Happy Face paren detection bug.
       [not found]   ` <sdbuichi8t.fsf_-_@teal.ece.ucdavis.edu>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-22  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <hardaker@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> I included all the text above for a reason.  The last happy face above
> shows up with a ) after it, which it shouldn't.  Hell...  Its the
> wrong *type* of paren, it shouldn't even be checking technically, but
> I suspect its getting confused by the previous paren from the previous
> un-happy face...  hehe...  I knew this would take more than one shot
> (though I doubt anyone cares enough to optimize it to perfection).

Well, it should at least be possible to fiddle a bit more with the
function to get better results.  That's for Red Gnus at this point,
though.

@ 1996-06-22 18:50     ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-06-22 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

SLB> I don't know why the mailcrypt buffer menu and message mode menu don't
SLB> combine, but the only way I can see the message mode buffer menu is to
SLB> disable mailcrypt.  :-( Is this a bug in how easymenu is being called?

Per> No, easymenu assumes that you want all the menus on the menu bar, and
Per> only the last installed menu on mouse-3.

Per> I might look into this after 19.14 is released.

Please do, I don't think the current behavior is optimal.
--

@ 1996-06-22 21:28         ` Firebeard
From: Firebeard @ 1996-06-22 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark> gnus-summary-followup-with-original() seems to work OK in
Mark> 5.2.24.

SLB> It's broken as it sent it to me.  `Mail-Copies-To: never' is
SLB> supposed to spare me that behavior.

	Is this header standardized somewhere?  Otherwise, it should
be `X-Mail-Copies-To: never'.

--
#include <disclaimer.h>                               /* Sten Drescher */
ObCDABait:      For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the

* Re: Gnus v5.2.24 is released
@ 1996-06-23 17:09           ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-06-23 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

F> 	Is this header standardized somewhere?  Otherwise, it should
F> be `X-Mail-Copies-To: never'.

It isn't.  You don't have to put `X-' in front of non-standard
headers, but it is safer as it means that the header will not conflict
with some future standard.

* Re: Gnus v5.2.24 is released
@ 1996-06-23 20:05     ` Mark Borges
From: Mark Borges @ 1996-06-23 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

SLB> I don't know why the mailcrypt buffer menu and message mode menu
SLB> don't combine, but the only way I can see the message mode buffer
SLB> menu is to disable mailcrypt.  :-( Is this a bug in how easymenu
SLB> is being called?

PA> No, easymenu assumes that you want all the menus on the menu bar,
PA> and only the last installed menu on mouse-3.

In the interim, is there any way to switch the order of the menubar
entries? Right now the menubar has

	File ... Message Mailcrypt

Can I get

	File ... Mailcrypt Message

so that the message-mode menubar is what is popped un on mouse-3? I
guess the generic question is, "Does the menubar code allow one to
specify the (relative) order of the entries?"

--
  -mb-

* Re: Gnus v5.2.24 is released
@ 1996-06-23 22:14             ` Firebeard
From: Firebeard @ 1996-06-23 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

F> Is this header standardized somewhere?  Otherwise, it should be

PA> It isn't.  You don't have to put `X-' in front of non-standard
PA> headers, but it is safer as it means that the header will not
PA> conflict with some future standard.

	Then why is Gnus (apparently) not using the X- convention?  I
certainly don't want Gnus handling the header one way, and then have
the Mail-Copies-To header defined to be addresses to CC on replies.

--

@ 1996-06-24  7:04               ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-06-24  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

F> 	Then why is Gnus (apparently) not using the X- convention?  I
F> certainly don't want Gnus handling the header one way, and then have
F> the Mail-Copies-To header defined to be addresses to CC on replies.

There are no guarantee that an X header won't mean something else in
another newsreader either.  On the other hand, it would be nice if
`Mail-Copies-To' became official.

* Re: Gnus v5.2.24 is released
@ 1996-06-24 20:35               ` Edward J. Sabol
From: Edward J. Sabol @ 1996-06-24 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from mail: (23-Jun-96) Re: Gnus v5.2.24 is released by Firebeard
> Then why is Gnus (apparently) not using the X- convention?

Because the plan is that someday, someone is going to write the RFC for it
and make it at a quasi-official and well-documented e-mail header that we
hope other MUAs will endorse and implement in a similar fashion. Today, Gnus;
tomorrow, the world! Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha.

> I certainly don't want Gnus handling the header one way, and then have the
> Mail-Copies-To header defined to be addresses to CC on replies.

Actually, that's exactly what it means. Two examples:

	means "Don't ever CC: me on a posting to a newsgroup or mailing list"
        even if the user tries to do so

	means "Please CC: this e-mail address when you post your follow-up to
        the newsgroup (or mailing list)"

Later,
Ed